Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By Mat

2nd hand netbook paranoia?

2nd hand netbook paranoia?

i needed windows for some occasional use of a rare software utility,,

since all my macs are in flux - i decided to 'splash' out on a 2nd hnd net book... ( HK$ 600 hahahah! )

figured it was cheaper than friggin around with stuff I dont wanna stuff up on my business mac's

actually now the missus wants to commandeer this netbook ( my wife has never ever bought a computer in her life - she just inherits them - and now she's after inheriting this.... )

so??? is it safe? how do I know that the rather pleasant previous owner hasnt got it cover in spy wear etc - phishing etc?

for my self I never planned to connect it to the internet - rather I would USB stick some files on it - run this application on those files... an pass those media files back into mac OS world via USB stick

but now my wife would want to put in on my WIFI which is a whole different thing?

any advice - its got windows 7 on it... ( thats what I needed!! )

I use these two tools to scan.

1) Microsoft Security Essentials Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows
    2) Malware Bytes: Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software

Points for you to research:

Does the Netbook have a system partition which allows a reinstall of the OS / does a factory reset?
    Does it have a sticker with a serial number for the OS? I am not sure how easily you can download Windows 7 and reinstall from scratch using that serial number.

scrambler likes this.

thanks for the pointers... actually I havent touched a PC really since the late 80's early 90's!

seems some things to research.,

but it is entirely possible he got something on there that cause trouble on say my router?

yes it does have a sticker saying XP home edition.. ( and a bunch of what look like serial numbers) but i think its windows 7?

Mat

Perhaps, ask your helper?

(OK OK am out)

shri likes this.

ha yeh I already did - her verdict was not bad for 600..

didnt think of getting her to do tech support tho....

cant see a reset button... hmm maybe I will take it on public wifi first? run the antivirus?

F.A.O. scrambler:

Reviving this old-ish thread to ask where exactly you picked up the netbook for $600.00.

Thanks,

DN