Does PCCW throttle bit torrent?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com
    I would never run Bittorrent on PCCW as they have a security department who has enough resources to deal with Customs and Excise or the CCB. People being prosecuted are on the big 4 ISPs.

Use smaller ISPs.
    Are there people being prosecuted? I know there was one case a year ago or so - but that was for uploading.

A layman's eye cast over the relevant legislation in HK suggests downloading is not illegal in HK unless for distribution (ie uploading).

Is anyone aware of any prosecutions that would suggest otherwise?

as far as I recall, people get a letter or a HK$20,000 fine.

Even if you just the get the letter it means you have been registered and subsequent incidents the punishment will be more likely or heftier.

Let's also keep in mind that there are quite a few bittorrent sites as well that provide legal torrents.

for gamers, i can recommend this as an example

Home - Gamersyde

I haven't had very good experiences so far. Haven't gone down to PCCW to confirm exactly what my roomies got, but it sounds like the 30 mbps plan w/ HD channels..

I've done some speed tests, both on local servers, and some servers farther out with far higher latencies and I seem to be topping out at a 40kB/s (300+ kbps results) upload cap no matter what I do.

I'm on a wireless G router and have confirmed port settings are forwarded and open. I don't realistically expect the advertised speed, but was hoping I'd be getting at least a bit more than a third.

Unfortunately, we're locked in for the long run with the contract we took!

Last edited by mr_dimsum; 30-08-2008 at 06:42 PM.

If its not a dodgy site - let me know and I can test on my Netvigator connection. Might just be a location based issue ..

netvigator works fine on torrents

Here's my experience with torrents ant PCCW (netvigator):

When I first got my connection, it was working fine, until i got my router.

I didn't mind at first, as the downloads always finish when I leave it overnight, but when I checked everything, I noticed one silly mistake... I forgot to configure port forwarding.

If you are using u-torrent, make sure your light is green, if not, just click on it and follow the easy steps.

I got mine back up at 600kb/s max (on the 8mbit connection) after setting up port forwarding on the router.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_dimsum
    I've done some speed tests, both on local servers, and some servers farther out with far higher latencies and I seem to be topping out at a 40kB/s (300+ kbps results) upload cap no matter what I do.
    I don't realistically expect the advertised speed, but was hoping I'd be getting at least a bit more than a third.
    What do you think the advertised upload speed is? The speed they advertise (for residential accounts) is the download speed. 4Mb/s upload seems pretty good to me.

The technology they use for most connections is ADSL. The A stands for Asymmetric (meaning the download is much faster than the upload, which is what most users are perceived as needing).

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com
    as far as I recall, people get a letter or a HK$20,000 fine.

Even if you just the get the letter it means you have been registered and subsequent incidents the punishment will be more likely or heftier.
    But to get a $20k fine you would have to be prosecuted. I haven't heard of this happening.

I was using HGC 10Mb connection which is just a lead from the wall with no router and couldn't get anything higher the 27kb/s. So I bought a 7.2 Mb Vodafone usb modem and still only get a max of 70Kb/s. I have no idea what the problem is but would be massively greatful if anyone had any suggestions.

seeds

do you have a sufficient number of seeds on the torrent to help your download speed?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast