Does PCCW throttle bit torrent?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HKNewBi
    Are there people being prosecuted? I know there was one case a year ago or so - but that was for uploading.

A layman's eye cast over the relevant legislation in HK suggests downloading is not illegal in HK unless for distribution (ie uploading).

Is anyone aware of any prosecutions that would suggest otherwise?
    Bitorrents do upload. Thus, when you download something illegal, via any bitorrent, you are also uploading at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by johnkeh
    do you have a sufficient number of seeds on the torrent to help your download speed?
    Thousands of em. My web pages also take forever to load, so I suspect the problem maybe deeper than my bit torrent settings. I'm desperately looking for an alternative to re-formatting my computer, but that is starting to look like my best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by PhileasFogg
    Thousands of em. My web pages also take forever to load, so I suspect the problem maybe deeper than my bit torrent settings. I'm desperately looking for an alternative to re-formatting my computer, but that is starting to look like my best bet.
    Few things a quick format doesn't solve ...

Quote Originally Posted by Myrona
    I do find that this rate decreases when I'm watching cable TV.
    I find that hard to believe. Not using NOW TV obviously helps (one less stream), but I cannot see how cable TV could affect the PCCW line.
    Are you sure that you mean cable (i.e., icable) TV and not NOW TV?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by beachball
    I find that hard to believe. Not using NOW TV obviously helps (one less stream), but I cannot see how cable TV could affect the PCCW line.
    Are you sure that you mean cable (i.e., icable) TV and not NOW TV?
    If you look at your plug adaptor it is split . Telephone and ADSL. The ADSL has to supply both the TV decoder AND your computer , through a common modem with connections out for TV and Computer ( s ).

Thereby if you have the TV decoder on ( the button glows green and the channel is displayed ) IT WILL suck the life out of your computer connection -- in relation to download abilities.

FYI - for me - WITH wife watching weepy movie on HBO - download only up to 200 kB/s. Switched OFF I get 600 kB/s.

To make BitTorrent in particular - more efficient. From the OPTIONS tab
    Go to Preferences - Connections ..Set max upload speed to 10.
    Set Download speed to 0 ( unlimited )

Go to Bit Torrent - Set your connections and peers to 1,000,000. Upload choose low like 100
    Additional Bit Torrent Features - check every box BUT NOT limit bandwidth
    Protocol Encryption - Enable

The rest is just set to default.

Those are my settings and I get the max out of my connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    If you look at your plug adaptor it is split . Telephone and ADSL. The ADSL has to supply both the TV decoder AND your computer , through a common modem with connections out for TV and Computer ( s ).

Thereby if you have the TV decoder on ( the button glows green and the channel is displayed ) IT WILL suck the life out of your computer connection -- in relation to download abilities.
    What you say is correct, but is just repeating my post above that NOW TV does affect the PCCW internet performance.
    The point is whether cable TV (note that NOW TV is not cable) does so as well - I maintain that it does not.

The fact that NowTV uses your internet connection is obvious - they state so when you sign up, and it's the reason why a 6Mb connection is the minimum requirement for NowTV, as then you get 3Mb for the internet and 3Mb for NowTV, otherwise NowTV would saturate your available bandwidth (in my first building, it was an old one that could only handle 3Mb so no NowTV for us back then).

I'm curious as to how much bandwidth NowTV HD requires though. I plan to upgrade soon so hopefully the net connection can upgrade too to handle that.

Cable TV on the other hand - of course it should have absolutely no impact on your PCCW ADSL connection. Why would it. Completely different systems. It would impact you if you were using iCable for your internet though...

Quote Originally Posted by Hamton
    Cable TV on the other hand - of course it should have absolutely no impact on your PCCW ADSL connection. Why would it. Completely different systems. It would impact you if you were using iCable for your internet though...
    No it wouldn't. CableTV is a broadcast system, using completely different frequencies for the TV and internet. Turning your TV box off makes no difference to the number of signals on the cable to your house. NOW is a streaming system, using part of the same bandwidth for the single TV channel that is streamed to your box as for the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamton
    The fact that NowTV uses your internet connection is obvious - they state so when you sign up, and it's the reason why a 6Mb connection is the minimum requirement for NowTV, as then you get 3Mb for the internet and 3Mb for NowTV
    For what it's worth, it's pretty clearly reproducible at my place that NowTV takes 4.5mbit when the box is turned on, not 3mbit. I suspect the modem is doing this splitting, so it can guarantee a reliable stream for the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    No it wouldn't. CableTV is a broadcast system, using completely different frequencies for the TV and internet. Turning your TV box off makes no difference to the number of signals on the cable to your house. NOW is a streaming system, using part of the same bandwidth for the single TV channel that is streamed to your box as for the internet.
    As I said - cable TV will have no impact on your ADSL...

iCable on the other hand, might, if it's anything like cable in the UK which I can only guess.

In the UK, Virgin/Telewest/NTL cable customers get their cable and internet through the same cable. So obviously the TV use has an affect on the bandwidth in some minor way, as they're both digitial signals going through the same cable. If it works like that with iCable too or not, I don't know.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast