Does PCCW throttle bit torrent?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

hamton PDLM is right.

Cable signals do no interfere with internet access. The reason is that cables TV existed way before Internet. When Internet was added a new set of frequencies where chosen. At the end of each street or block there is a serverhead, which gets all the cable signals and turns them into IP. The standard used is DOCSIS 2.0 etc. Have a look at a Cisco UBR7246. It is like a 7206VXR which takes DOCSIS boards in it.

DOCSIS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by hk.com; 01-09-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com
    as far as I recall, people get a letter or a HK$20,000 fine.

Even if you just the get the letter it means you have been registered and subsequent incidents the punishment will be more likely or heftier.
    Can you find a link to back this up? Chinese ok.
    Last edited by buckshot; 02-09-2008 at 01:22 AM.

I don't have the time to search for a link particularly in Chinese.

The letter I recalled people from their own personal experience about receiving the letters from the Police.

I just read my blog and in May 2005 the police did send letters but didn't prosecute downloaders at the time of writing, not sure what happened after, I thought they did fine a few people HK$20,000. They did prosecute the guy that uploaded Daredevil torrent file to a forum and seeded it. He got criminal charges against him.

I occassionaly see on our web sites the police server/system which is used to gather evidence on web sites and archives it for prosecutions. They seed your server logs also.

They obviously have systems which connect to trackers, select popular pirated movies, find the IP addresses do GeoIP lookups and subsquently HK ISP look ups. In my blog I did discuss how one would got about tracking and capture people downloading Bittorrent files effectively if someone feels that they can't be caught. KIA doesn't allow us to link to our blogs so you will have to Google it.

They did prosecute the guy that uploaded Daredevil torrent file to a forum and seeded it. He got criminal charges against him.
    The guy uploaded Red Planet, Miss Congeniality and Daredevil. If bad taste was a reason for prosecution ...

Supposely, we're signed up for the 30mbit plan - I've done some benching and the best I can push over wifi is 1800 kb/s on a local speed test!

I'm on a G router and don't know if that's the bottle neck or not, but do you guys suggest we look into this with PCCW? I'm literally capped at 40 kb/s upload, which I'm thinking suggests something is wrong with our plan.

Furthermore, does someone know the logins for the CP for the modems?

Last edited by mr_dimsum; 02-09-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_dimsum
    Supposely, we're signed up for the 30mbit plan - I've done some benching and the best I can push over wifi is 1800 kb/s on a local speed test!

I'm on a G router and don't know if that's the bottle neck or not, but do you guys suggest we look into this with PCCW?
    802.11b usually caps out around the 2000kB/s mark (or under, like 1800kB/s).

Though you said your router is 802.11g, check that the computer connecting isn't 802.11b or that no 802.11b devices are active on the network.

I use one old 802.11b laptop and that's limited to around 1900kB/s or thereabouts over WiFi.

If it's 1800kB/s you're getting purely transferring files across the LAN rather than downloading from the internet - then you're getting 802.11b speeds so something's up.

Though 1800kB/s download isn't too terrible, perhaps a third less than you should be getting from a 30Mb line, but there are lots of other factors like servers and time of day.

mr dimsum, good luck.

either you spend a load of time debugging or switch ISP it will be the easiest way of fixing it.

Home internet access is doomed to have a big portion of users with big problems as the service fees are low, corners are cut, technology used is dirt cheap, there is no budget to debug it. You and most won't pay for it to be fixed.

802.11b on a clear channel with perfect signals only does 11Mbit 1375KB/s of raw ethernet. That excludes TCP/IP overheads, packet retries, collisions etc.

802.11b on a clear channel with perfect signals only does 11Mbit 1375KB/s of raw ethernet. That excludes TCP/IP overheads, packet retries, collisions etc.
    I could have sworn I was getting close to 2Mb/s transferring files to the old 802.11b laptop...

Just checking it now and Windows tells me 1.5Mb/s copying over a video file between computers, though that's with Microsoft's number rounding technology. That's probably close enough to 1375KB as you said though, some systems measuring 1KB as 1000 bytes and some as 1024.

First,

I'll have to update this thread. My roomy had confirmed we had the "fastest plan" there was available to residential outside of fiber (the Netvigator 1000M), so I assumed it was the 30M plan.

I dug up some of the old receipts and letters and found out the sales popped us in as the 8M w/ 2 SD channels for 24 months at $253 per month!

According to the Netvigator website, a 30M plan w/ 2 HD channels is only $326. Also, it seems most plans only have contracts up to 18 months - what gives!

So it seems they were either screwed or the sales had no idea what they were doing - which wouldn't surprise me either way, since the only person who can speak fluent Cantonese of our bunch has no knowledge of technology whatsoever.

Will take a look at this again, as we're heading down to PCCW to get this resolved and figured out.

BTW, I'm running this on a Dell E6400 w/ the new Intel Wifi Link 5300 A/G/N - we're using a G router though, and connection seems steady enough for throughput up to 48.0-54.0 mbps accordingly.

Hopefully all this will be resolved.. No wonder why I'm getting such speeds..

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast