Does PCCW throttle bit torrent?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

It depends on the area you live if you can get the 30M plan. Some places go up to 18M, most are only 8M. But they shouldn't have offered you service at the highest tier if you couldn't obtain those speeds (and I've never heard them do that before).

I'll say it again, because it obviously didn't register last time...

The advertised speed is the DOWNLOAD speed. The connections provided over the traditional phone line / copper network (which is most of the ones up to and including 8Mbit/s) are NOT symmetrical. The UPLOAD speed will be much much less than the download speed on these type of connections. This is inherent in the ADSL technology used to get that much data down a phone line designed for 64kbit/s.

Now, if you have fibre to your building you may have the possibility of a VDSL connection providing up to 30Mbit/s, but again, there is no guarantee that this will be symmetrical. You need to be very explicit with PCCW in your requirements.

(Although perhaps not so honest as to say "I want to do lots of illegal file-sharing", which is, presumably, what you are actually doing.)

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com:
    I don't have the time to search for a link particularly in Chinese.

The letter I recalled people from their own personal experience about receiving the letters from the Police.

I just read my blog and in May 2005 the police did send letters but didn't prosecute downloaders at the time of writing, not sure what happened after, I thought they did fine a few people HK$20,000. They did prosecute the guy that uploaded Daredevil torrent file to a forum and seeded it. He got criminal charges against him.
    He was prosecuted for distribution (uploading the torrent). I am not sure that downloading is an offence in HK and haven't seen any evidence to suggest it is.

PDLM,

Thanks for the information.. I'm aware of that already.

Will keep everyone updated.

hi all, first time poster, just go to HK a week ago. I just got PCCW Netvigator 8M today and am attempted to download my torrents. Now, download speeds are great, but upload speeds are around 35-45KB/s. I can live with that, but what happens once the torrent is finished downloading is the uploading suddenly come to a dead stop. This is going to be a big problem for me as I download from some torrent sites that require a 1:1 ratio. Any suggestions?

oops, looks like I figured out the problem. I was finally able to get into the setup page of the wireless modem that PCCW gave me and forwarded the right port. All seems well now.

hi all, this is a old thread but the nature of topic i still newsworthy - i recently settled in HK and missing TV series from home. Would like to use BT to download but don't wanna risk to violate HK law. Can you update me what's going on 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by florian2010:
    hi all, this is a old thread but the nature of topic i still newsworthy - i recently settled in HK and missing TV series from home. Would like to use BT to download but don't wanna risk to violate HK law. Can you update me what's going on 2010?
    Well uploading or downloading is illegal anyway. Uploading will generally hold heavier fines as it's distribution.

In saying this I have been downloading for a while with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Well uploading or downloading is illegal anyway.
    Rubbish.

Downloading copyright materials for free that require payment and distributing those materials is illegal. For publicity value some orgs have chased ordinary citizens but soon realised it was futile. They now chase the indexing sites but even that has proved worthless. China mainland blocks most external torrent trackers but you still have the service through DHT and local peers so that proves how futile it all is to start with.

There are plenty of sites you can either download or stream from, legally if you so desire, either for free or by a small payment. If we judge by your statement literally then the internet in its entirety is illegal and just by viewing Geoexpat makes you a crim because you downloaded a cookie(s).
    Last edited by Boris; 31-10-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Boris if you read his question he is asking about BT. BT isn't illegal as you say but 99.99% of content that is generally downloaded from peers has copyright attached to it and therefore if you don't pay then it's illegal.

Last edited by virago; 31-10-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast