Does PCCW throttle bit torrent?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Does PCCW throttle bit torrent?

I've just recently moved to Hong Kong and was hoping my roomies had waited for me to do some research on good ISP's, as I've found PCCW is pretty slow for international surfing. >.<

I've also noticed that my torrent speeds are significantly slower than those I've had in Canada.. I was just wondering if anyone knew if Hong Kong ISP's practice throttling?

I'm pretty sure they do. My upload speed are terrible based on what they advertise.

I called to confront them on it, that sure went nowhere quickly.

You could always get there 1000M service, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_dimsum
    I was just wondering if anyone knew if Hong Kong ISP's practice throttling?
    They don't, that would cost money.

Torrents work fine on files with asia peers. Make sure you turn off Now TV to get maximum speed.

Surfing international slow is because, duh, Hong Kong is miles away from anywhere else. TCP is pretty poor for long distance communications, but you'll only see this on networks like Internet 2.
    Last edited by MrMoo; 29-08-2008 at 04:48 PM.

No problems at all with UKNOVA torrents ( 4-8Mbps is not unusual with Asian peers like MrMoo said ).

EZTV etc... 80-100KBps ( i.e. about 1 Mbps )

I'm not sure if you'd differentiate between PCCW and Netvigator on this - but I'm pretty sure that Netvigator do not throttle. They do not, of course, have enough international bandwidth to provide their full local speed to all users at all times across the whole Internet, but that's not the same as throttling. I regularly max out my 8mbit connection with both BT and HTTP. I seem to be able to get a reasonably solid 800kbit or so using scp to transfer stuff from home to other places in HK...

I have a pccw and my speed is actually pretty good (up to 600 kb/s) compared to Australia (but anything is better than Australia). I do find that this rate decreases when I'm watching cable TV.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll
    No problems at all with UKNOVA torrents ( 4-8Mbps is not unusual with Asian peers like MrMoo said ).

EZTV etc... 80-100KBps ( i.e. about 1 Mbps )
    mininova and isohunt are also pretty good.

Icable gets to 500KBps without to much trouble if the torrent is healthy. 300KBps on average is probably more realistic.

I think it really depends on how healthy your torrent is and less on your internet provider. Demonoid where people are encouraged to seed, does seem faster then a mininova where people just log off after finishing the download.

Also, if you are downloading from another timezone, maybe there aren't to many seeders online?

I would never run Bittorrent on PCCW as they have a security department who has enough resources to deal with Customs and Excise or the CCB. People being prosecuted are on the big 4 ISPs.

Use smaller ISPs.

No throttling that I've noticed. Well seeded torrents can easily max out my connection.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast