Best GSM Reception on high floor??

Closed Thread

Best GSM Reception on high floor??

Hi,

I recently moved into my new apartment on the 62nd floor. It's in the Banyan Garden estate in Lai Chi Kok (West Kowloon).

I'm currently using a mobile phone plan from Peoples, but the reception in our apartment is really terrible.

Will all Hong Kong mobile carriers have coverage problems on high floor buildings, or is this just a specific problem of Peoples?

I know the building developer is Cheung Kong which is again related to Hutchison (3). Does that mean 3 would give me the best reception in this building?

Others have suggested CSL and told me to stay far away from Peoples unless you live in N.T..

Could anybody please advise? This problem is driving me absolutly crazy.

Thanks in advance!

It really depends on the building. Sometimes it even varies within the same building. Not sure about your location, but the easiest way to find out: Buy some pre-paid phone cards from all the major operators and try them in your apartment. Once you have found one that works well, move over your contract (assuming that you are on a post-paid contract) to that operator.

Quote Originally Posted by beachball:
    It really depends on the building. Sometimes it even varies within the same building. Not sure about your location, but the easiest way to find out: Buy some pre-paid phone cards from all the major operators and try them in your apartment. Once you have found one that works well, move over your contract (assuming that you are on a post-paid contract) to that operator.
    Wow! Do I feel stupid now... how come I din't think of that?

Thanks for this tip...will be heading down to Mongkok tomorrow to buy me some prepaid cards.

Thanks!

high floor phone coverage

Also you might want to try 3G vs 2G... they behave differently when subject to interference.

When you are high up your phone can 'see' many different sites and that's why they don't work too well. Not an easy problem to solve for the operators.

Generally Peoples are amongst the poorer of the networks...new worl Mobility and One Two Free are pretty poor too in my opinion. PCCW is probably in the middle somewhere, but not much better than the earlier 3 I mentioned. Safest bet is 3 or Smartone...I aonly switch between these two....they have by far the best signals and thats why they are usually more expensive ~ you are getting wat u are paying for!!