Hosting of an web shop

Closed Thread

Hosting of an web shop

In a week or two my online shop should finally be ready for business. Originally i was planning to do the hosting in my home country, but lately i'm considering to do this in Hong Kong ...

Anyone knows a reliable hosting company in Hong Kong for commercial activities?

Where will your customers be located?

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Where will your customers be located?
    Am targeting specifically USA and Europe (maybe will add some Asian countries in near future).

The reason i think hosting in Hong Kong might be beneficial is that it's located in my timezone and when it goes wrong, i can talk to the one responsible without delay.

A bit off topic, but maybe interesting for you (KNOWITALL) since you are in the web business.

I designed the site myself together with a graphical designer in Europe. We basically get the design right in photoshop files. So now the look and feel is ready (with special attention to web usability).

The technical realisation will go through elance.com (an ebay for services). I think that's pretty cool since i'm getting bids from Eastern Europe, usa and quite a lot from India. It really has become a global collaboration and global competition for talent.

(cfr. The world is flat, Thomas L Friedman does seem to have a point that SME's can go global.)

If you're targeting the US / European markets, I would not recommend hosting in HK, due to the delays it takes for the packets to cross across from those locations to HK - called latency.

Would recommend strongly to take a look at host in the US that offers 24/7 support - many of the better ones do offer it and offer it well.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    If you're targeting the US / European markets, I would not recommend hosting in HK, due to the delays it takes for the packets to cross across from those locations to HK - called latency.

Would recommend strongly to take a look at host in the US that offers 24/7 support - many of the better ones do offer it and offer it well.
    Thanks for the info, I'll look into it.