Like Tree5Likes

HGC vs. PCCW vs. HKBN

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll
    >> My only worry is HGC's connection stability.

If its fiber to the building, then HGC is rock solid, as is the case with us.
    If it's the 30mbps plan, can we know for sure that it's fiber to the building?

I browsed the Chinese forums at discuss.com.hk and there were many dissatisfied customers of HGC, or so it seemed...

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay
    Used to have HGC then moved and only PCCW available. Prefer HGC for reliabilty, cost and speed. No issues with disconnection either.
    Are you currently in Shatin? I am too, but I have both HGC and PCCW options available.
    Last edited by kai920; 05-09-2008 at 06:22 PM.

DaveW : I am pretty happy with netvigator too. No problems with connectivity / speeds at all.

Was just offering an option, stating that if you're not happy with Netvigator or want to switch, HGC is a rock solid option.
    I am mostly happy with Netvigator, except the fact that my plan expired and they charged us an extra $18/month for 3 months, for 1GB of mail storage

>> there were many dissatisfied customers of HGC, or so it seemed...

Well, then go with Netvigator.. for the amount you pay (<$500 / month) they're all pretty much the same at the top tier.

Only ISP I've heard really bad things about are pacific net.

>> there were many dissatisfied customers of HGC, or so it seemed...

Well, then go with Netvigator.. for the amount you pay (<$500 / month) they're all pretty much the same at the top tier.
    I'm willing to roll the dice with HGC, if only they offered a one month trial period or something like that... in case I get stuck with 24 months of constant disconnections.

Thats why I asked if its fiber to the building - should be stable.

Thats why I asked if its fiber to the building - should be stable.
    The sales person said something about each block in my estate having a limited allocation of 30mbps 'slots'. Does that sound like fiber? I could ask them I suppose.

pulled the trigger

I did it. I went with HGC after getting assurance that the plan uses hutchison's own fiber optic cabling to the building. The salesman also said the 30mbps plan uses Cat5 Ethernet cable from the machine room, which is better than VDSL.

Hopefully this is not something I will regret. Updates and impressions on the service to come...

@kai920: Hoping to hear your review asap.. my netvigator contract will expire on october. im also leaning towards HGC. Really hope that it is rock solid.

Carlos,
    I just mailed in my PCCW termination form today, so I'm not going to get HGC for at least another month. Are you also considering a 30+Mbps plan?

kai
    Just signed the HGC contract today and also mailed my PCCW termination letter today.
    The plan i did got is the ($198 x 16) plan.. free 8mos.The average monhtly equivalents to $128 per month.
    Package includes... 30mbps for Upload n DL w/ 2 IP. 100mins wifi and $100 park n shop coupon.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast