Like Tree5Likes

HGC vs. PCCW vs. HKBN

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Yes, that's the same plan I got. Let's compare notes when it comes in!

HKC 10mBit plan sucks

Just my two cents.

I have the HGC 10MBit plan and it sucks bad time. Bandwidth to european websites is very slow.

If this is 10MBit already...

Anyway, no choices in my building.

Cheers,

Mathias

Thanks for your input. I hope my plan will fare better.

After the "si-fu" installs my HGC, what's the best way to do a comprehensive yet quick check of the quality of the line before I signoff and officially accept the service?

Speedtest?
    Ping my favorite (game) servers?
    Download a file?

My idea is to have my PCCW Netvigator line still active during the HGC installation, so I can compare the two.

ping the servers, do a traceroute. I am not sure if you can have both online at the same time. I mean they use the same phone line, right?

Local downlaods usually fast, but who cares?

Cheers,

Mathias

Apparently my 30mbps plan is not DSL tech and does not come through a phone line. CAT5 straight from the machine room. (?) At least that's what I think the salesperson wrote on the contract.

He ticked the box that says "?? technology" (which means "Ethernet"), and also wrote "fiber optic" in Chinese on the top.

Carlos98326194,
    Did you get your HGC installed yet? I just got mine set up. I'll update with some impressions later.

Couple bad things...

1) My connection was in fact NOT Ethernet... it was VDSL - still comes in through phone line, like PCCW. I contacted the sales person who I signed the contract with and was given some BS answer/runaround.

2) The WLAN capability from their supplied modem requires further activation AND additional cost. WTF? Again, this was contrary to what we were led to believe. I was under the impression that I can replace my aging linksys router with just one modem/router. No biggie though (I guess)... we get 2 fixed IPs, so the router can plug straight into one of the jacks.

Now, the good... speedtest.com.hk - I downloaded a 100MB zip archive at an average of 4.5MB/second. This is the fastest download speed I have ever seen. I realize this is from a local server and don't expect that everywhere in the world. I will keep monitoring overseas connections...

I noticed that I am getting higher pings to TF2 servers in Singapore though.

Hmm im also thinking of going over to HGC from netvigator.
    But im getting cold feet now.
    Can you please run http://www.speedtest.net/ and check the ping to Sweden(Stockholm) and UK (London) and maybe even JP (Okinawa) to see the speed and ping?
    I would be most grateful.
    /J

I used to have Netvigator 6M connection and when my contract ended, was happy to get a 10M plan from HGC at a cheaper price. Well they started out selling the 30M plan to me and then later found out that they didnt have the service to my building. So I settled for the 10 M connection.

In regular usage I have found it to be much slower than the netvigator 6M connection I had earlier. I was about to settle for the reason mentioned on this thread earlier, that PCCW has better/faster international links. But strangely I sometimes find my three mobile broadband to be faster than the home broadband.

If I had a chance, I would have stuck with PCCW, perhaps bargained for a better package though

Will run a connection speed test when I get home and post later.
    Regards
    PS

Thanks for the update. Here's mine:

It's been nearly 2 years and my 30Mbps HGC contract is up and I will most likely renew. Overall it's been a positive experience. Download speeds are quite good especially from fast servers like Apple's movie trailers site... I often get 4 or 5 MB/sec from there.

One negative: over the past 6 months I did experience some down time with the connection (maybe 3 times total) but HGC were generally quite quick to the rescue (within 24 hours).

Still no HKBN in my area, but if HGC can up our line to 100Mbps I might go for that.

P.S. JohanSWE, I'm sorry I never saw your message / forgot to reply!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast