Like Tree5Likes

HGC vs. PCCW vs. HKBN

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Hi all, I'm moving to HK in a few days and would just like to ask those in the know.. which ISP provides the best speeds for gaming/skype to the EU/US?

HGC or PCCW... HKBN?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by kai920
    Thanks for the update. Here's mine:

It's been nearly 2 years and my 30Mbps HGC contract is up and I will most likely renew. Overall it's been a positive experience. Download speeds are quite good especially from fast servers like Apple's movie trailers site... I often get 4 or 5 MB/sec from there.

One negative: over the past 6 months I did experience some down time with the connection (maybe 3 times total) but HGC were generally quite quick to the rescue (within 24 hours).

Still no HKBN in my area, but if HGC can up our line to 100Mbps I might go for that.

P.S. JohanSWE, I'm sorry I never saw your message / forgot to reply!
    Are you using HGC in office or residential building? I know a lot of people complain about HGC to death in residential building. I was using icable but switched to PCCW. iCable was cheap and useable but filled with instability at times. I'm using PCCW now and love it. The only problem is that no one can upload at 30mb for you to download

I use HGC in the office and its quite stable and reasonable speed. I hate to recommend pccw due to their monopolistic history but seems like they have the most stable network.

To mark: finding an apt with based on internet availability is quite insane. 1. agents probably won't know about internet availability unless its the few buildings close to them 2. as if price, location and condition is not enough variables for you to choose an apt then go for it, add another variable.
    I think generally the shitiest internet here should suffice your needs compared to most foreign countries. Unless you intend to host your own gaming server then thats a different story

I'm in a residential building.

Not bad

Quote Originally Posted by kai920
    Couple bad things...

1) My connection was in fact NOT Ethernet... it was VDSL - still comes in through phone line, like PCCW. I contacted the sales person who I signed the contract with and was given some BS answer/runaround.

2) The WLAN capability from their supplied modem requires further activation AND additional cost. WTF? Again, this was contrary to what we were led to believe. I was under the impression that I can replace my aging linksys router with just one modem/router. No biggie though (I guess)... we get 2 fixed IPs, so the router can plug straight into one of the jacks.

Now, the good... speedtest.com.hk - I downloaded a 100MB zip archive at an average of 4.5MB/second. This is the fastest download speed I have ever seen. I realize this is from a local server and don't expect that everywhere in the world. I will keep monitoring overseas connections...

I noticed that I am getting higher pings to TF2 servers in Singapore though.
    If a phone line VDSL can do 4.5 MB/s (bytes, not bits right ?), then that's bloody
    good. Also, if it had been a CAT5 or fibre cable, they might have had to drill another hole in your wall and line up your exterior with more cable. Consider yourself blessed.

Netvigator is an absolute joke for me. This year I've had customer service send someone to have a look at my connection 8 times, yes EIGHT times.

I have no idea what the problem is but it usually begins with online games and websites slowing and then eventually the connection disconnecting altogether.

One of the tech guys who came up told me apparently netvigator take back broken modems repair them and give them out again. Apparently they must all be going back to me then!

So quite obviously with my experience I can't recommend Netvigator and am now looking at HKBN, wonder what that's like.

Hi, I've been using Netvigator for several years and it's working fine, but I'm not happy about their prices and also they can't change the registered owner from my wife to myself. My Netvigator contract expires these days and I'd like to get a 100Mb plan from another ISP, but I'm a bit concerned about the stability, overseas speed and customer service. What's the current consensus about these aspects?
    I can get HKBN in my (residential) building; not sure about HGC, probably not. Is it safe to switch to HKBN? Also, I might get a plan that includes a phone line, and switch away from pccw too.

Clamidia, vs Gonorrhea vs Herpes... which one should I go for?

virago and drumbrake like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aditsu
    Hi, I've been using Netvigator for several years and it's working fine, but I'm not happy about their prices and also they can't change the registered owner from my wife to myself. My Netvigator contract expires these days and I'd like to get a 100Mb plan from another ISP, but I'm a bit concerned about the stability, overseas speed and customer service. What's the current consensus about these aspects?
    I can get HKBN in my (residential) building; not sure about HGC, probably not. Is it safe to switch to HKBN? Also, I might get a plan that includes a phone line, and switch away from pccw too.
    HKBN is good for customer service. The speed though is only 100mb inside HK. HGC I hear has better speed but is a little more expensive. Most of my friends these days are switching away from PCCW except for those who are tied to a broadband TV plan. Also, most of them no longer have a PCCW phone line.

Like STDs (not that I have any experience), some ISPs are worse than others. Unlike STDs, I can't live without an internet connection.

HKBN apparently provides 20Mb overseas bandwidth with the 100Mb plan, that's actually not bad considering their pricing. Their agents are quite aggressive though, they kept trying to convince me to do the installation before the end of March.
    It will actually take me 1 month to get rid of Netvigator, so I'd rather wait till April. Who knows, maybe HKBN will have a better offer in April and that's why they're trying to catch me now. They also seem to be short on people who can speak English reasonably well.

About HGC, it is actually cheaper, but I was told that they use PCCW lines, with no speed guarantee. Anyway, their website seems to indicate their service is not available in my building.

I now have a 200Mbps up/down FTTH plan - I'm still with HGC.. aka Three/3ree or whatever it is they call themselves now. They claim I have an overseas minimum of 30Mbps...

Price wise I *think* I am paying an average of less than $150/month.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast