Like Tree5Likes

HGC vs. PCCW vs. HKBN

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Question HGC vs. PCCW vs. HKBN

Hi All,

I need some advice on broadband internet service. Our PCCW 6M broadband contract expired recently. If we renew, it costs about $200 per month.

HGC has offered me a 30M up and down plan (too good to be true??). Need to sign for 24 months, but the average price is $130 per month. Again, low price = too good to be true?

I need the most stable Internet, even though the speed is enticing -- if it indeed is that fast.

I read about disconnection problems with HGC. Any Hutchison broadband users here care to comment?

Finally, is Hong Kong Broadband worth considering?

Thanks in advance.

Where are you trying to get data to and from? The headline figures are far less important than the ISPs' international bandwidth if you are trying to get data to/from places outside Hong Kong.

Probably more North America and Europe than local.

I've been fairly happy with PCCW's 6M I guess, but HGC's 30M service is supposedly both faster and cheaper. My only worry is HGC's connection stability.

I take it most people here are on Netvigator then?

I'm on netvigator and I find it to be both slow and unstable. Not tried anything else - it's only an inconvenience to me rather than a huge problem.

>> My only worry is HGC's connection stability.

If its fiber to the building, then HGC is rock solid, as is the case with us.

Used to have HGC then moved and only PCCW available. Prefer HGC for reliabilty, cost and speed. No issues with disconnection either.

I'm on Netvigator at home - it's stable and I get the advertised 6MBit/s downloads often enough that I know that when I don't it's beyond Netvigator's control.

I must be the only satisfied Netvigator user in HK ;-)

I have the 16M service and consistently get 1.6mb download speeds (I.E. full advertised speed) , and I have never noticed it dropping out (and I'm a pretty heavy internet user)

Have only been using for maybe 10weeks, maybe I've just been lucky so far...

DaveW : I am pretty happy with netvigator too. No problems with connectivity / speeds at all.

Was just offering an option, stating that if you're not happy with Netvigator or want to switch, HGC is a rock solid option.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast