Portable MP3 Player - opinion needed

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

If you want something that supports OGG and FLAC (two of the best lossless formats), try a Meizu: DealExtreme: $89.00 Meizu M3 - 1.5-inch LCD MP4 Player (2GB) EMS Express

jay, get an ipod and replace the software with Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware

OGG, FLAC and everything else you could want. Apple does thave the best GB/$ rates normally. On the ipod it is itunes, firmware, file storage formats, music format supported and sound capping that is poor and you can overcome that with Rockbox.

2GB is small, particularly if you want to use FLAC or other loss less file formats.

Check the support for the particular Ipod you get on the rockbox site. Some are better. I have the 30G version, and it is heaven. I've yet to listen to anything that sounds better.

We have discussed this issue quite thoroughly.
    http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread19260.html

Last edited by hk.com; 05-09-2008 at 09:54 PM.

hk.com: iPods are nice, but the newest high capacity ones (Classics) have sound quality problems. The lineout quality is not affected though, so when you're listening carefully (at home), it's a non-issue. Unfortunately, Rockbox is not available for the Classics.

I use a Creative Zen Vision:M (60 GB) and a Creative Zen Nomad (160 GB hard disk, 129 MB usable for music). I have files on the Nomad that are encoded in WAV and they are CD perfect. The Zen Vision:M is a good all-round player, and attracts a premium in the US as it is hard to find.

Interesting comments, thank you folks!

No one talks about iriver

Jay, I research into the headfi site you mentioned, surprisingly it's quite the opposite of what you said, sony nwz is way ahead of cowon in terms of sound quality based on the forum guys review.

So i think i will go for sony nwz A 828 8GB, but it seems a bit overpriced according to some site review, also sadly no FM radio included

Jimbo, pistolero,
    what A series do you own actually?
    Is it worth to get the A82x series? i think it's pricey only for the bluetooh??
    Also did you try to connect it with active speaker

vcorn

I own the NWZ A826 which is the 4gb version and I bought it pretty much when it first came out back in May, Well it is a Sony afterall so you are paying a premium.

The Bluetooth is a gimmick yes but then I have connected it to my Sony Bluetooth Hifi and it sounds good, I'd thoroughly recommend it but the only downside though is that you do get locals looking at your chest all the time as they try and take a look at what you're listening to or get mesmerised by the funky clock

Vcorn: Since I already have over 180 gb of player capacity, I haven't been looking at headfi recently. Interesting that they rate the Sonys higher than the Cowons, but yeah man, go ahead and get one. They are pretty slick. I would personally try and go with a player with line out because the difference in sound quality is often staggering. I love the way my files sound through my Zen Vision:M when it's connected to a portable amp!

Quote Originally Posted by vcorn:

Jimbo, pistolero,
    what A series do you own actually?
    Is it worth to get the A82x series? i think it's pricey only for the bluetooh??
    Also did you try to connect it with active speaker
    I actually have the s618, smaller screen, no BT but it does have radio. The A series came out a week or two after i bought mine. I guess if i'd waited for them to come out, i would have gone with the A828 even though i think BT is not necessary and slightly gimmicky. It's only 200 dollars more than the a827 and BT could come in handy when transferring data from different computers or if you decide to get a compatible stereo or speaker system sometime in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow86:
    I think all the time,why not you buy MP5 player?
    function is so better
    MP5?? Any examples of models?

And does it have a volume control that goes to 11?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    MP5?? Any examples of models?
    This is one of the common MP5 models,

MP5