going to HK to buy a mac

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    fm7

There's an even money chance my next notebook will be an airbook.

Apple - Legal

There is plenty of info there on the warranties and also the AppleCare benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by dudeguy:
    thx for info. If I buy it, it will be my first mac, hope I'm not disappointed. Also the warranty (1yr comes with purchase of mac) is international so if i buy it in HK and I take it to an apple reseller in Shanghai I think the warranty would cover it. Still not completely sure if I'll buy one, I still have 2 months to think about it, but odds are that I will get one...never been to HK so I'll also get to check the city out
    the warranty is definitely international. Should you have any difficulties in your first year, just add apple care and you are safe for 3 years in total.

I would recommend that you give the macbook (pro) a good inspection before you actually buy it. Have them open the box, boot it up.

Keep in mind that a new update of the macbook and macbook pro is expected very soon. Lower prices and a re-design are expected. Maybe as soon as october.

"Barrons reports on an analyst note from Citigroup's Richard Gardner who claims to have received confirmation that new MacBooks are shipping.

The report cites "field checks" as the source of the information and describes the new MacBooks with a "very thin aluminum casing, an LED-backlit display and an aggressive entry-level price point."

This description matches many of the circulating rumors, including photos that claimed to depict the new MacBook. Also, the "aggressive" price point could also represent the lower margins that Apple predicted for future quarters during their Q3 2008 Financial Results. At that time, Apple described a "future product transition" which could impact margins.

The most recent claims have pinpointed October 14th as the possible day for the MacBook release. "

Yes i've heard of this upgrade, but I wonder if they'll also do it for the Macbook Pro

Quote Originally Posted by dudeguy:
    Yes i've heard of this upgrade, but I wonder if they'll also do it for the Macbook Pro
    Maybe the'll make the macbook upgrade so good, you won't need the pro anymore

BTW, i also used to buy my apple hardware in HK when living in China and definitely agree to your point of view. The price in China is just to high and the service to low. When they released the new alu Imac's last year, China was the last country to switch to the new model. I was already using the new one for at least a month while they were still selling the old one in Shenzhen at full price.