going to HK to buy a mac

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

going to HK to buy a mac

I'm thinking about going to Hong Kong to buy a macbook pro in about 2-3 months since the prices in Mainland China are so high. So I was wondering if anybody knows if I the education discount is offered at the apple reseller DG Lifestyle Store. I'm a teacher in mainland China so I don't think that I would qualify so I would also like to know if there's anybody that would be willing to go with me and buy the computer so i can save some money

fm7

If you are looking for educational discount I would look first for the educational resellers that should be listed on the Apple website. I had a bad experience with DG when I was buying my Mac Pro and wound up ordering direct from Apple, which is what I also did my iPod and will do when it comes time to upgrade my notebook.

I have a friend with a Mac in Shanghai and says that they are expensive to service and get parts for if you ever need to have repairs done. Something to keep in mind.

In my experience, you get about the same price in small stores that carry Apple computer than with the official price with educational discount. There was one in Elizabeth house and there's also one in the Wanchai computer centre

I believe this outfit offered ed discount:
    Senco Masslink Technology Limited
    10/F MLC Tower, 248 Queen's Road East, Wanchai, Hong Kong.

People I knew had to go through the school though...

As for parts and service, I've been on Mac's for over 15 years and I've never had a single problem and the only parts I bought were RAM sticks and an airport card when they were not included...

I have to use Windows at work and it boggles my mind why people put themselves through this to save a few dollars. You pay for it in time, security and reliability...

My Chinese gf also tells me that she heard that the best time to go shopping in Hong Kong is in the month of November because many stores offer specials, but I dont know how true this is. Have you noticed shopping specials during this month while you've been there?

Quote Originally Posted by Alby:
    I have a friend with a Mac in Shanghai and says that they are expensive to service and get parts
    in China.

gilleshk ... have you gotten parts & service in China bc I know many people who want them in the mainland but the cost of service and repair I have been told are anywhere from 40% to 60% more than elsewhere - to some this is a large expense. Have been given misleading infiormation from my counterparts in the mainland please advise.

Alby,

i think the op is aware of this, which is why he wants to come to HK to buy one. people have their reasons for wanting a mac, and the OP seems to have his. Personally, I'm happy to pay a premium for a reliable, good quality system that has a reputation for rarely needing repair, rather than save a little $ on a system that WILL need repair...

check out PC Mag suurvey for customer satusfaction - apple tops the list in many apsects.. sorry don't have link, but maybe flex the power of google if you want to have a look...

DDF

Quote Originally Posted by dudeguy:
    My Chinese gf also tells me that she heard that the best time to go shopping in Hong Kong is in the month of November because many stores offer specials, but I dont know how true this is. Have you noticed shopping specials during this month while you've been there?
    Computer products don't have sales as they are constantly updated reflecting current market conditions. However Apple computers are slightly unusual that they remain fixed price and spec for a long period of time, 6-9 months usually. This means the cheapest time to buy an Apple computer is immediately when a new version is released. The most expensive time is just before hand. For example the Mac Airbook is currently 9 months old and compared with current market offerings quite expensive and relatively old.

Why people would buy an airbook is beyond me...

and no I've never bought parts in mainland China. I've never needed spare parts for any Mac, only occasional upgrades which I can wait for until I get the right price.

thx for info. If I buy it, it will be my first mac, hope I'm not disappointed. Also the warranty (1yr comes with purchase of mac) is international so if i buy it in HK and I take it to an apple reseller in Shanghai I think the warranty would cover it. Still not completely sure if I'll buy one, I still have 2 months to think about it, but odds are that I will get one...never been to HK so I'll also get to check the city out

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast