Like Tree20Likes

Warning- buying at Foresoon electronics in Quarry Bay

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    jgl

Warning- buying at Foresoon electronics in Quarry Bay

Just thought I'd put this up in case anyone lives/works in the Quarry Bay area.

I regard Foresoon as one of the better computer/electronics stores with branches scattered across Hong Kong, but I have noticed that the Quarry Bay branch has a tendency to jack up prices (this might be a Gweilo pricing thing).

I've been in recently for two items in the $400-500 range, and both times was given prices 40-50% above market prices (as checked against both the Jumbo pricelist and walking into a Foresoon store in Wan Chai). The more recent event was a couple of days ago, where the QB branch tried to sell me a hard drive for $700, and I picked up the same drive half an hour later in their Wan Chai branch for $480.

A complaint to the head office about the pricing variation resulted in an apologetic offer to put me on some kind of "special pricing list" to supposedly ensure that I get good pricing, but I've decided not to have anything to do with a store that operates that kind of opportunistic pricing practice.

Anyway, be careful about using the QB branch. The other branches have been okay in my experience.

Last edited by jgl; 22-01-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Are the prices clearly displayed though?
    Or one of those prices vary depending on your ability to pay?

wtbhotia likes this.

Same thing happens to me at the Sheung Wan branch quite often. You however show them another price or tell them you want to go lower, and they will give you the lower price without too much fuss. Like all things in HK, its up to you to make sure you are covered and prepared, not the retailer.

And in all fairness a lot of retailers have price discrepancy based on location (and not just in HK if we are trying to point fingers specifically at HK).

Last edited by pin; 23-01-2015 at 08:09 AM.
    ummbongo and JAherbert like this.

Quote Original Post:

And in all fairness a lot of retailers have price discrepancy based on location (and not just in HK if we are trying to point fingers specifically at HK).
    Not sure about that last sentence. From a western retail perspective I still find it odd. If I shop for products at Leroy Merlin ( hardware chain ) or FNAC or the large Carrefour superstores for CE products, prices are clearly marked and the same in every store, nationwide in France. The same goes for Myers, Grace Brothers, JB hi fi, The Good Guys, Bunnings etc etc in Australia which abide by standardisedrecommended retail pricing. If any of these retailers have a promotional price on an item that is lower than the RRP, all stores in all locations follow suit.

HK is really awful as far as general retailing goes, compared to whats generally accepted in the west.

Now none of that mattered say 20 or so years ago when HK was generally around 20% cheaper than most western countries for the latest camera and CE products, but not these days when prices are usually higher here or erratic from one store to another.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 23-01-2015 at 09:11 AM.

bdw

Even bloody McDonalds annoys the crap out of me because they change the price of a Mcflurry icecream in every store somewhere between $10 and $15. And Im not talking about the special limited ones they have with extra sauce of whatever on them, my kids only ever want the Oreo or smarties ones and every damn store I step into has a different price. The rest of their menu is more or less standardised but I cant for the life of me figure out why they decide to set a different price for an oreos mcflurry in every single store.

Burger king at the airport food court also pisses me off as they charge $20 more for a burger comparable to every other burger king in Hong Kong. I know they have different ownership from the other BK's, but still where I am from being in a franchise means you have certain responsibilities that you must adhere to, including a standard menu and standard pricing practices. Here they just do what they want.

Last edited by bdw; 23-01-2015 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Original Post:
    Even bloody McDonalds annoys the crap out of me because they change the price of a Mcflurry icecream in every store somewhere between $10 and $15.
    #FirstWorldProblems!

It all comes back to the lack of consumer protection in HK

Don't forget though, consumer protection comes at a price too

Quote Original Post:
    It all comes back to the lack of consumer protection in HK

Don't forget though, consumer protection comes at a price too
    When I was in France during November last year, I purchased a nice shiney new Russell Hobbs toaster from Carrefour, as ours in hk had carked it, paid 34 euros for it. The same model in HK was almost double the price. I found quite a few instances like that.

If we are doing the HK v other places price differences, Nespresso milk frothing machine, selling in UK for GBP50 (c. HKD580), in HK, selling for HKD950 (c. GBP80). And the GBP price is with 20% VAT included.

seems like HK becoming not a shoppers' paradise any longer unless you're looking for something made in HK or made in china

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast