Like Tree11Likes

Restoring a vintage watch?

Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    CWB
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCatalonia
    Me, I want the lightest black plastic Casio Quartz I can get !!

    My Casio calculator watch is all the watch I ever need. Having said that, though, I do have a Swiss mechanical (1930s vintage) and one or two Japanese quartz watches that cost upwards of HKD20,000. Each. There's room for the frivolous and the indulgent. I have long arms.
    TigerSun and wtbhotia like this.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    CWB
    Posts
    406

    Ok, so I went down to Hong Kong island and the address mentioned above, only to find that the guy only opens Wednesday to Sunday and as CNY was coming up I didn't see much hope of that happening so I let it go. It is, after all, a very cheap watch from the 1970s and I can live with it. Plus, I managed to pick up an even better example of one of its close cousins on eBay a week later.

    More worryingly, I've just managed to scratch up (a little bit) a new high end watch, so I might still go looking for a polisher after all.

    BTW, what's up with eBay and not letting me sell a watch internationally until I've built up 10 seller rep points in Hong Kong? I don't think I've got anything the local market would want and I'm not sure so many locals use eBay anyway. Where do you guys go to shift high end watches?


  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,714
    Quote Originally Posted by M Khan
    Ok, so I went down to Hong Kong island and the address mentioned above, only to find that the guy only opens Wednesday to Sunday and as CNY was coming up I didn't see much hope of that happening so I let it go. It is, after all, a very cheap watch from the 1970s and I can live with it. Plus, I managed to pick up an even better example of one of its close cousins on eBay a week later.

    More worryingly, I've just managed to scratch up (a little bit) a new high end watch, so I might still go looking for a polisher after all.

    BTW, what's up with eBay and not letting me sell a watch internationally until I've built up 10 seller rep points in Hong Kong? I don't think I've got anything the local market would want and I'm not sure so many locals use eBay anyway. Where do you guys go to shift high end watches?
    You are well on your way to becoming full addict. Try timezone.com to sell. Strictly timepieces. Ebay is very much hit and miss for watches.
    M Khan likes this.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Clear Water Bay (In Da Jungle)
    Posts
    10,055

    where is Tom007, he knows his watch stuff


  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    CWB
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by huja
    You are well on your way to becoming full addict. Try timezone.com to sell. Strictly timepieces. Ebay is very much hit and miss for watches.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Just had a look at timezone.com and I think it would be good if the watch in question was worn / not new. They have a policy of not accepting watches that are 'new', 'NIB', 'BNIB' or similar. I might be stuck with this thing. Which is ok because I like it. But it is a tad on the expensive side and wasn't exactly a planned, budgeted purchase... Still, as long as the wife doesn't find out I'll be fine.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    7,413

    You might take it to these guys, I see they have a Twin Quartz in their collection.
    Get a price for fixup or maybe trade for something else?

    Watch Service & Restoration - ENGLISH


  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,714
    Quote Originally Posted by M Khan
    Thanks for the suggestion. Just had a look at timezone.com and I think it would be good if the watch in question was worn / not new. They have a policy of not accepting watches that are 'new', 'NIB', 'BNIB' or similar. I might be stuck with this thing. Which is ok because I like it. But it is a tad on the expensive side and wasn't exactly a planned, budgeted purchase... Still, as long as the wife doesn't find out I'll be fine.
    Hmm, you sure you were in the right forum? Because what you described would be a radical change in policy since my last visit.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    7,413
    Quote Originally Posted by huja
    Hmm, you sure you were in the right forum? Because what you described would be a radical change in policy since my last visit.
    Indeed, maybe he was looking in the wrong section?

    Sales Corner Guidelines: Supplemental Provisions and Definitions - TimeZone

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    CWB
    Posts
    406

    I was using my phone's browser so it might have sent me to a different version of the site, but the quote above still correlates with the paragraph in bold at the top of the sales corner that I see. No new, bnib etc. Old, worn-out stuff only.

    TimeZone : TZ Showcase


  10. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    7,413

    Sorry, having trouble understanding your posts. You say you are trying to sell a vintage watch that you bought on ebay which is worn with scratches. So the problem with Timezone is not that they don't want 'new' (as yours is not new) - it's that they don't want watches priced under $5000. Correct?


Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast