Like Tree32Likes

Bonaqua bottle redesign

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

If the hole is not too tight then air can go out around the hose

Quote Originally Posted by CarterTG:
    Numerous hurdles to overcome

3D printers (FDM) that are the rage with hobbyists and maker spaces will be severely crippled in the resolution they print at. You can only go so far in surface smoothness when the structure's being assembled as a continuous strand of molten plastic. This smoothness might be critical to forming a decent seal when sitting on the dispenser.

Build envelope (size limit) on most 3D printers do not approach that of the typical (Bonaqua) water cooler jug. Trace elements of chemicals leeching from the 3D printer filament material will be directly counter to the effort of drinking filtered/bottled water.

I'm not sure I understand the need for a cap. When the jug is empty and you're able to carry it to the nearest faucet, then it seems the only thing missing might be a BPA-free hose to snake that water into the jug.

If the jug is in close vicinity of the filter faucet and the idea is to have a system of filling the jug without moving it, a refill collar would warrant further development..

One-way checkvalve would permit water to only enter the jug. Centre hose permits air to escape as tank fills.

Then again, the simplest method might be to simply drill and fit the existing plastic jug with a filling hose at the top. The hydraulic engineers will have to chime-in about why this wouldn't work...
    awesome!! But, when you drill this hole, the plastic remnants might fall into the container rendering the water inside unusable. Also, if the hole is even slightly bigger than the hose, dust may enter the water.

"If the jug is in close vicinity of the filter faucet and the idea is to have a system of filling the jug without moving it, a refill collar would warrant further development.."

seems like a winner! If you make one, you've got yourself a customer!

If you make one, you've got yourself a customer!
    Even if the cost would be about $2000 ...

Original Post Deleted
    If it was just me and the missus, probably boiled tap water is OK in Hong Kong but for making milk for my daughter - nah!

Original Post Deleted
    Your choice - no comment. Don't suppose you read Chinese, right? but this is the sort of crap in Chinese rivers...

http://wap.srdsw.com.cn/news/minshen...3-10/13360.htm
    Last edited by ray98; 12-05-2015 at 07:08 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    I have actually but still doesn't give me much comfort that I am drinking from rivers that the north siders treat like a sewer. But you could say that all water in Hong Kong is from there, but the physics of distillation gives me more comfort

Perhaps show your missus the pics of floating diseased pig bodies and see what she thinks.
    Last edited by ray98; 12-05-2015 at 07:20 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    Actually the boiling of drinking water is a Hong Kong tradition! Don't knock local culture!

Ah, the ol' argument of boiled water will kill you. I used to get so worked up about this. It is astounding how persistent some cultural superstitions are.

The other belief that I feel best matches this one is that turning on the air conditioning during winter will stop people from catching colds.

Last edited by jgl; 12-05-2015 at 08:21 PM.
    Cho-man and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Ah, the ol' argument of boiled water will kill you. I used to get so worked up about this. It is astounding how persistent some cultural superstitions are.

The other belief that I feel best matches this one is that turning on the air conditioning during winter will stop people from catching colds.
    Old wives tales do have a stubborn shelf life. Yes, the vast majority of locals in this town drink from water gushing from the tap and then boiled. I have yet to see anyone dropping dead in HK from drinking boiled water from the tap.