Like Tree32Likes

Bonaqua bottle redesign

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ray98:
    I have actually but still doesn't give me much comfort that I am drinking from rivers that the north siders treat like a sewer. But you could say that all water in Hong Kong is from there, but the physics of distillation gives me more comfort

Perhaps show your missus the pics of floating diseased pig bodies and see what she thinks.
    Do you drink British water? In many places that IS sewerage. Treated to a standard that makes is absolutely safe and fine to drink. Your concerns are absurd.
    Cho-man and jgl like this.

@ray98, I am pretty sure that water treatment doesn't involve distillation. The energy cost would be astronomical, and the volumes a plant could process would be tiny.

I think that water treatment is mainly filtration, possibly with other processes thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    @ray98, I am pretty sure that water treatment doesn't involve distillation. The energy cost would be astronomical, and the volumes a plant could process would be tiny.

I think that water treatment is mainly filtration, possibly with other processes thrown in.
    You're right it doesn't. I was talking about Watsons distilled water which is also heated to 105 degrees celsius (presumably under high pressure to raise the boiling point of water).

The water treatment on the WSD website is filtration, chlorination (and a few other chemicals), fluoride added for good measure before it goes into circulation.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Do you drink British water? In many places that IS sewerage. Treated to a standard that makes is absolutely safe and fine to drink. Your concerns are absurd.
    In Manchester, we get our water from the Lake District and that is the only time I would drink water from the tap.
    Last edited by ray98; 12-05-2015 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Ah, the ol' argument of boiled water will kill you. I used to get so worked up about this. It is astounding how persistent some cultural superstitions are.
    Not quite sure if you are addressing my post.

Let me explain. When I was a nipper, in our village, there were no direct water supplies to a house, we all used one communal tap for the whole village, so that meant storing water in buckets and it was advisable to boil the water before drinking. Over time, it became a habit, not just for villagers but Hong Kong generally - I think that's why many workplaces contract Watsons to supply drinking water today. My parents didn't lose this habit when we got to the UK, partially out of habit but partially to have a ready supply of hot water in a vacuum flask for making Chinese tea.
    Last edited by ray98; 12-05-2015 at 11:55 PM.
    shri likes this.

In Manchester, we get our water from the Lake District and that is the only time I would drink water from the tap.
    The water coming out of the tap in Leeds is lovely - I drink it pretty much by the pint when I'm there

Original Post Deleted
    So out of genuine interest, does your employer (that I assume to be a major international bank), order drinking water at the cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars annually or do they expect their employees to drink tap water?

Your answer will rest my case (one way or the other).

I drink from filtered water for 2 reasons:

1. Filtering fluoride
    2. Filtering any possible heavy metals out there

I would boil it too if I weren't so lazy to press a water boiling button.

Suit yourself really. I'm concerned mainly cause I don't want to end up brain damaged and then wonder what if I paid more attention to what I take in.

ray98 likes this.

My parents didn't lose this habit when we got to the UK, partially out of habit but partially to have a ready supply of hot water in a vacuum flask for making Chinese tea.
    These always-on kettles are very popular in HK, aren't they, but they are utterly useless for making tea. Good tea requires freshly boiled water every time.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    These always-on kettles are very popular in HK, aren't they, but they are utterly useless for making tea. Good tea requires freshly boiled water every time.
    I use the microwave as well - gets the flavour out of the PG Tips