Like Tree32Likes

Bonaqua bottle redesign

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ray98
    In Manchester, we get our water from the Lake District and that is the only time I would drink water from the tap.
    The water coming out of the tap in Leeds is lovely - I drink it pretty much by the pint when I'm there

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    The triumph of ignorance over rationality.
    So out of genuine interest, does your employer (that I assume to be a major international bank), order drinking water at the cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars annually or do they expect their employees to drink tap water?

Your answer will rest my case (one way or the other).

I drink from filtered water for 2 reasons:

1. Filtering fluoride
    2. Filtering any possible heavy metals out there

I would boil it too if I weren't so lazy to press a water boiling button.

Suit yourself really. I'm concerned mainly cause I don't want to end up brain damaged and then wonder what if I paid more attention to what I take in.

ray98 likes this.

My parents didn't lose this habit when we got to the UK, partially out of habit but partially to have a ready supply of hot water in a vacuum flask for making Chinese tea.
    These always-on kettles are very popular in HK, aren't they, but they are utterly useless for making tea. Good tea requires freshly boiled water every time.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger
    These always-on kettles are very popular in HK, aren't they, but they are utterly useless for making tea. Good tea requires freshly boiled water every time.
    I use the microwave as well - gets the flavour out of the PG Tips

Tsk!

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83
    I don't want to end up brain damaged
    Too late already?
    TheBrit and HK_Katherine like this.

So out of genuine interest, does your employer (that I assume to be a major international bank), order drinking water at the cost of hundreds of thousands of dollars annually or do they expect their employees to drink tap water?

Your answer will rest my case (one way or the other).
    The water comes from the taps. It goes into some machine to heat/cool it and I think has reverse osmosis but ultimately it is sourced from the taps and the same Chinese rivers you are so paranoid about.

Nobody seems to have died yet

Not quite sure if you are addressing my post.

Let me explain. When I was a nipper, in our village, there were no direct water supplies to a house, we all used one communal tap for the whole village, so that meant storing water in buckets and it was advisable to boil the water before drinking. Over time, it became a habit, not just for villagers but Hong Kong generally - I think that's why many workplaces contract Watsons to supply drinking water today. My parents didn't lose this habit when we got to the UK, partially out of habit but partially to have a ready supply of hot water in a vacuum flask for making Chinese tea.
    Yeah, that's kind of what I assume is behind the boiled water craze in HK- that it is a habit left over from times when HK didn't have a treated water supply. Now that HK does have a first world water supply, it's redundant and a cultural artifact rather.

Not wanting to drink tap water because it squicks someone out, I can kind of understand. Kind of like how a lot of meat eaters don't like to think about where meat comes from. But when people (not pointing at you here, more a reference at past threads where this has been debated) insist that tap water is dangerous without being able to recognise that it's because that they have just been brought up to think that way, that's when things start getting really silly.

Personally, I think that the whole bottled water thing is an example of the power of marketing over sense. Heating water to 105 instead of 100 degrees like it makes any difference. Or in the West- fifteen years ago people used to consider tap water the preferred source, now people buy bottles of water that cost more than petrol. And we chew up huge amounts of energy in the treatment and transport (by ship and by road) of a commodity that is already frikken' piped into our houses and every building in the city.

Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    The water comes from the taps. It goes into some machine to heat/cool it and I think has reverse osmosis but ultimately it is sourced from the taps and the same Chinese rivers you are so paranoid about.

Nobody seems to have died yet
    Things must be getting bad at banks!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast