Like Tree32Likes

Bonaqua bottle redesign

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bonaqua bottle redesign

So, I was thinking:

- the standard Bonaqua (or Watson's water) costs around HKD 50
    - I like buying it though because the hot water/cold water dispenser is pretty good. I like using it

BUT
    - I also have free clean filtered tap water

Therefore, why pay HKD 50 per Bonaqua bottle for the dispenser privilege?

With the advent of 3D printers, etc, can someone make a custom refillable Bonaqua bottle? Something with a lid on it so water can be refilled from the tap. That way there is no operating cost of HKD 50 and the dispenser privilege will be upheld

Thoughts?

Last edited by scumbag; 12-05-2015 at 08:38 AM.
    jayinhongkong likes this.

You can still refill the carboy...you just need to flip it over real quick when you put it back on the dispenser

Enderman likes this.

The kitchen usually gets flooded when i try that! I need Arnold Schwazzzagg (however you spell his name) like muscles first!

The consider it a free workout bundled in with saving $50 for a jug of water!

scumbag likes this.

When in doubt, consult youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zkwShklN0M

scumbag and Enderman like this.

Filtered tap water, personally no because I can taste the difference between filtered water and distilled water when making jasmine tea - so rightly or wrongly, I think of the crap that goes in the Dongjiang river.

3Ding, you might have IP infringement issues.

Refilling - My CBA factor kicks in. Given we go through a bottle once a week, the cost means nothing to me.

What's CBA? But, 50*4*12 = HKD 2,400 per year which when compounded at 5% for 10 years is close to 4000 bucks. One trip to Taiwan and back....

But you don't get hot water or super cold water on demand! ;-)

Numerous hurdles to overcome

3D printers (FDM) that are the rage with hobbyists and maker spaces will be severely crippled in the resolution they print at. You can only go so far in surface smoothness when the structure's being assembled as a continuous strand of molten plastic. This smoothness might be critical to forming a decent seal when sitting on the dispenser.

Build envelope (size limit) on most 3D printers do not approach that of the typical (Bonaqua) water cooler jug. Trace elements of chemicals leeching from the 3D printer filament material will be directly counter to the effort of drinking filtered/bottled water.

I'm not sure I understand the need for a cap. When the jug is empty and you're able to carry it to the nearest faucet, then it seems the only thing missing might be a BPA-free hose to snake that water into the jug.

If the jug is in close vicinity of the filter faucet and the idea is to have a system of filling the jug without moving it, a refill collar would warrant further development..
    Name:  ExPatCap.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  411.7 KB
    One-way checkvalve would permit water to only enter the jug. Centre hose permits air to escape as tank fills.

Then again, the simplest method might be to simply drill and fit the existing plastic jug with a filling hose at the top. The hydraulic engineers will have to chime-in about why this wouldn't work...
    Name:  ExPatHoser.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  451.2 KB

shri, Rob2020, scumbag and 1 others like this.

@CarterTG - Excellent! Top marks for the geekery.

Then again, the simplest method might be to simply drill and fit the existing plastic jug with a filling hose at the top. The hydraulic engineers will have to chime-in about why this wouldn't work...
    I suspect you'd also need some sort of outlet on the top for the air to escape while the water is being filled?
    Last edited by shri; 12-05-2015 at 05:15 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast