Broadband Internet Service

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

This is a rant about my experience with i-cable. I switched over to them in March because I was sick of NOW TV and only wanted broadband service. The deal seemed great: $129/month for broadband, home telephone line + 100 minutes/month of 007 IDD service. When I said I needed to give 1 month's notice to cancel Netvigator, the lady on the street said the service had to be installed that day and she would refund the first month's service charge.

So I signed up and sure enough the whole thing was installed at my home within hours. Then someone called me from i-Cable to confirm the terms & conditions and said there was in fact no refund for the first month. When I objected, the agent said that the original sales rep would contact me to clarify. She called and said that the refund was a "private gift" that would be deposited to my account in a few days. After more than 6 weeks I haven't received a refund. When I followed up with the rep, she said that she had forgotten and would deposit it soon.

Meanwhile, my homeline has not been ported to i-Cable. After several weeks, I called to inquire about the hold up and they said they had no record of my request. So I completed another form and faxed it back. 4 weeks passed and still no change. When I called, they asked if I had completed the form. When I said I had done it a month ago, they asked me to fax a copy of my PCCW bill. I am still waiting for my number to port and continue paying for the PCCW line.

Now I've received a bill from IDD 007 for the handful of calls I've made through their service. When I called to ask about my 100 free minutes/month, the guy said that I wasn't registered for any i-Cable promotion. He told me to fax some documentation showing that I had signed up for the i-Cable plan. When I suggested that he verify it himself instead of asking me to perform yet another task, he became surly and said that he can't access information from another department. I asked for his name and he hung up on me.

In summary, i-Cable's customer service is LOUSY...and that's when you get someone who actually speaks some English. The thing is that PCCW's practices are also appalling. Once their reps entered my home under the pretense of checking the connection, only to try selling me another NOW package. I complained, got an apology and the next week it happened again. I'm still on the lookout for a half-decent ISP in Hong Kong. I wonder if I can get out of my i-Cable contract on the grounds of their incompetence.

Last edited by grandcider; 01-05-2007 at 07:28 PM.

You get what you pay for.

Just avoid HKBN, PCCW, HGC, NWT, i-Cable and you will be fine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3