Broadband Internet Service

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Broadband Internet Service

I am going to be moving into an older building in San Po Kong. Does anyone know if most buildings have broadband internet services available? How does this work?

Here in the States, if someone wants broadband, the company comes and just installs the necessary wiring. Is that how it works in HK?

Katharine

Call the ISP (internet provider) and ask them. They will tell you on the spot if they support the specific area.

If you have PCCW as your telephone service provider, chances are you can have Broadband and what kostas say is correct also.

Quote Originally Posted by kostas:
    Call the ISP (internet provider) and ask them. They will tell you on the spot if they support the specific area.
    How would I find out who the ISP is?

K

Katherine,

If a telephone is possible, 99.99% certain, then broadband service can be delivered too.

PCCW is the main telecoms provider in HK, with www.netvigator.com being their broadband branch.

However, their service charges are more expensive than others.

If you have a phone line you can sign up with other ISP's.

hope this helps.

I responded to your other post not realizing you had already confirmed your accommodation. I hope I haven't worried you at all. San Po Kong isn't a typical expat area (not much in the way of shiny new buildings there).

My building is a bit on the old side. I can't get cable TV for instance. Netvigator is my ISP and TV provider. The connection is good and when DLing popular torrents I don't near the limit. There are always deals - so find out what you want and shop around.

other ISP

hello guyss....

can i ask if there is other ISP here in Hongkong, other than the PCCW (netvigator.com). pls.. give me some contact numbers so that i can call them.

BTW, im here in Lantau Island

thanks in advance

San Po Kong is a traditional factories area.

Current PCCW offer

Hello

I've just moved to HKG and looked into having Broadband installed in the service apartment we're staying at. The current offer at PCCW is:

$208 per month if you apply in the shop), or
    $244 per month if you apply on the phone.

This offer was quite good, as installation fee was waviered ($350), deposit ($800) and rental ($30 a mth) waviered, and the $208 per month is the only fee you pay. Plus you get given 14 free channels and you can pick 2 paid channels that they'll give you free of charge) - so that's 16 channels altogether, and you can pay for extra channels on top. Believe me, anything is better than the 2 free channels I already have on the TV. Also, as an extra thing to look out for, ask about how transferable the Broadband is, as we are moving to another apartment in about two months, PCCW are arranging to move Broadband and TV channels for free, but if I move after 3 months, then I'll have to pay the installation fee of $350. Hope this helps. TOOTS

I think you can get cheaper prices from sales people on the street. There are lots of them outside the various computer centers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast