Like Tree26Likes

Worth getting laptop fixed or just buy new one?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by robertlempriere
    Samsung 850 Series, e.g. Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250GB for $720 (an absolute bargain)
    Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250GB - SSD ???? - ?? - ?? - ????? Price.com.hk
    Excuse my ignorance but can I simply swap hdd for ssd, same connectors ? From the pic it seems yes.
    Dont know what to do with 250 Gb though, lap on steroids...

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Yes you can. Both 2.5" HDD and SSDs use the same power connector, and the same data connector (referred to as SATA). They are completely interchangeable from a physical connection perspective.

SSDs usually come with software that lets you migrate from the HDD (Acronis Trueimage or somesuch). If you use this, you should be able to use an external drive to swing over to the new drive.

If you consider 250GB "on steroids" then it sounds like your 11K laptops rotated on a 3 year basis are huge overkill! Thought you mentioned you were doing semi-serious graphics work in your OP?

Last edited by jgl; 03-08-2015 at 07:04 PM.
    Morrison likes this.

Yo, me not OP
    My 10 year old lap has 20GB

Last edited by Morrison; 03-08-2015 at 07:02 PM.

Well, you certainly are not running a recent version of Windows then.

That is the other problem.
    I guess I need to exchange few more hardware components in order to upgrade to a higher window...
    (ran an upgrade check last year from XP to WinWhatever. )
    The lap is still good as I exchanged keyboard, just a little slow, I feel.

Last edited by Morrison; 03-08-2015 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Hard to say without actually seeing the machine, but if the machine really is hugely loud and you can find someone with an identical machine without the noise, I'd be inclined to take them both into an Apple store, run identical workloads, and then play the "obnoxiously loud Westerner" card.
    Huh, that's HC's default setting

We've got a couple of Macbook Air's - one from 2010 and the other 2014 that don't have any fan issues - both just work perfectly at all the time. I guess there could be a faulty batch but I can't see how it it could be beyond the ken of an Apple genius to swop out a fan. Mind you, the official store would probably charge you an arm and a leg.

I recommend these guys - MacWin Tech -(Google them) as competent and trustworthy. Actually I recommended them on another Mac thread and shri deleted my post as "shill posting" or somesuch but we'll see if this passes his spam filter.

Run Linux?

Yeah, it's an option that I will look into. It's interesting to see what needs to be done over time. Had to buy a usb wifi stick because the security standard changed and I could not lock into wifi spots

The fans in a MacBook Air speed up when the core temperature gets too high, it helps dissipate more of he heat. With the Air, the entire design helps get rid of the heat, so if you have it in any hard enclosure, it'll run hotter.

The number of times I've encountered a fan bearing issue on a Mac is very low, I'm more inclined to say it might be the thermal paste having hardened over time, and just needs reapplying.

The worst case scenario is if a temp sensor is faulty, which then requires a replacement of either the logic board or I/O board.

Quote Originally Posted by huja
    I don't have any recommendations as I'm a DIY-type. Also, you're backing up everything on the laptop right? It sounds like it could fail completely at any time.
    Yep, I am.. back stuff up on the USB stick and larger files on a external HD =)
    I'm afraid of it completely shutting down and losing everything- happened to my previous laptop back in 2011 and lost everything =/

Quote Originally Posted by Enderman
    I live in the NTs, maybe not much help as far as recommendations go...seriously though, any of those computer shops that put PCs together will help...you can even order the part yourself to make it easier.

It's not too difficult a DIY job if you fancy it...there's probably a YouTube vid. you can follow...finally, take huja's advice and backup...you're close to system failure.
    thanks, I will check out the computer centres out in the SSP and MK area this week and get some quotes and write a little review here later =)

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Unless you're joking on that point, that's the problem. No laptop fan should should ever be that loud. Your bearings are screwed.
    unfortunately, I'm not joking at all. I use the lappy in the living room, and my bed room is right next door.. I can hear the fan spin when I'm next door =( I'll get the fans checked out when I head to the computer centres

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast