Like Tree26Likes

Worth getting laptop fixed or just buy new one?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Points 1, 4, 5 address your system instability. Point 4 imo is a long shot. I have never known anyone who had to do that.

Points 2, 3 will make your machine faster. Installing an SSD will make your system hugely faster, additional RAM much less so (and will be a bit expensive with a laptop). I would recommend not bothering with RAM. But in any case, sort out the instability first.

The laptop spec is high. There is no reason to be replacing that for another three years unless some super amazing tech comes along that you really need.

nickelodeon1997 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nickelodeon1997:
    Do I need to change the SSD to HDD?
    Also just checked my RAM, this is what I got:
    Processor: Intel(R) core(TM) i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53GHz
    2.53 GHz
    Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (7. 86 GB usable)
    System type: 64-bit Operating System
    Your RAM and CPU are fine.
    Is it a desktop or a laptop?

Either way - changing to an SSD as your primary drive will yield a huge performance improvement.
    If you have a laptop, you will only be able to have one drive, so get the 250GB model
    If you have a desktop, you could get away with a 120GB but I would recommend the 250GB, additionally you can have a larger (3 or 4tb) regular drive for storage - you install Windows on the SSD and keep your data/files/music/movies on the regular drive

Don't wait - get the SSD now!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Don't wait - get the SSD now!
    However, don't get the product marketed as SSDNOW

That is a specific Kingston product which is a bit shit. It started out well, then Kingston went and swapped in a bunch of slower parts without changing the product name.

Just get a Samsung 850 Evo if you don't want to do any research.

Kingston SSDNow V Series Solid-State Drives for Consumers - Kingston

500GB Samsungs are going for 1300 now, so I hope you got a Pro version for 1400.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Address the fan/overheating problem first. See where you are. If after that the laptop seems healthier, add some more RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enderman:
    Eh? He's got 8 gig! 8 gig is plenty!
    I hardly ever store anything on the laptop, everything is on my USB stick or else my external harddrive which is like 15 or 50 or 500 TB (can't remember exactly, but it's freaking huge) lol

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Points 1, 4, 5 address your system instability. Point 4 imo is a long shot. I have never known anyone who had to do that.

Points 2, 3 will make your machine faster. Installing an SSD will make your system hugely faster, additional RAM much less so (and will be a bit expensive with a laptop). I would recommend not bothering with RAM. But in any case, sort out the instability first.

The laptop spec is high. There is no reason to be replacing that for another three years unless some super amazing tech comes along that you really need.
    yeah, I'll head to the computer centres out in Mong Kok and SSP for some quotes and write a little review here when I get back.
    Would they also apply that thermal paste stuff for me too if I decide to go that route? I'm really afraid of doing it myself as I'm a complete noob when it comes to this type of stuff and most definately mess it up =/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Your RAM and CPU are fine.
    Is it a desktop or a laptop?

Either way - changing to an SSD as your primary drive will yield a huge performance improvement.
    If you have a laptop, you will only be able to have one drive, so get the 250GB model
    Laptop =)
    What's the type of drive that's in my laptop now? Can you recommend a place where I can pick it up for a good price? XDD What price would the SSD be in HK roughly?
    I'm assuming it comes with one year warranty if bought on those more mainstream stores like Broadway, etc. but none when purchased from those computer malls.

yeah, I'll head to the computer centres out in Mong Kok and SSP for some quotes and write a little review here when I get back.
    Would they also apply that thermal paste stuff for me too if I decide to go that route? I'm really afraid of doing it myself as I'm a complete noob when it comes to this type of stuff and most definately mess it up =/
    No idea, sorry. I've never had to have a laptop replaced by a hole in the wall store. I can't remember if you mentioned already (this thread has turned into a mess), but have you brought it back to the Fujitsu service centre? The Lenovo centre is amazing for repairs.

Laptop =)
    What's the type of drive that's in my laptop now? Can you recommend a place where I can pick it up for a good price? XDD What price would the SSD be in HK roughly?
    I'm assuming it comes with one year warranty if bought on those more mainstream stores like Broadway, etc. but none when purchased from those computer malls.
    You probably have a 2.5" SATA hard drive, spinning magnetic disks. Any computer store will sell and SSD. Two of the more established ones would be Centralfield in SSP, and Jumbo in HK.

Get a Samsung 850 Evo at whatever size you need. 250GB is about $730. I believe these drives come with 3 year warranties, and 5 or 10 for the 850 Pro series which cost about 30% more. Warranty is provided by the drive distributor, not the retailer. And I don't think they sell drives at Fortress/Broadway.
    Morrison likes this.

If you use it as a desk top replacement and it is not really used on your lap.

Try mounting it on one of the below. Only about $100

jgl likes this.

I had a look at my Fujitsu lifebook P5020.
    Intel Pentium 1Ghz, memory max. supported 1024 MB DDR266,
    Intel extreme graphics 2.

Is it feasible to change OS from XP to
    Linux or perhaps Andloid !?

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    If you use it as a desk top replacement and it is not really used on your lap.

Try mounting it on one of the below. Only about $100

This is actually a completely excellent idea- way simpler than messing around with laptop internals. Definitely try this first.

Original Post Deleted
    Yeah, it is just for fun, buying nuts n bolts and panels on ebay.
    So better forget about it !? Sob ;(

Have thrown away battery and cd drive many moons ago

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks