Like Tree26Likes

Worth getting laptop fixed or just buy new one?

Reply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. #41

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    16,580

    If you use it as a desk top replacement and it is not really used on your lap.

    Try mounting it on one of the below. Only about $100

    jgl likes this.

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,341

    I had a look at my Fujitsu lifebook P5020.
    Intel Pentium 1Ghz, memory max. supported 1024 MB DDR266,
    Intel extreme graphics 2.

    Is it feasible to change OS from XP to
    Linux or perhaps Andloid !?


    Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks


  3. #43

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    895

    Certainly a TWELVE year old 1GHz Laptop is a Dinosaur and 1024MB of RAM ain't going to cut the ice these days!

    Bet the battery is shagged out too?

    I'd suggest you download {say} (FREE) Ubunto on to a DVD - and try running it from DVD - and the second version - on the disk - can be used to install on to Hard Disk if you so desire.

    I have tried running Ubunto direct from DVD, and once tried "Lindows" - heck, that was years & years ago - too, but I'm too wedded to Windows since version 3.1 to go to Linux permanently !!

    Morrison likes this.

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,752
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    If you use it as a desk top replacement and it is not really used on your lap.

    Try mounting it on one of the below. Only about $100

    This is actually a completely excellent idea- way simpler than messing around with laptop internals. Definitely try this first.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,341
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCatalonia
    Certainly a TWELVE year old 1GHz Laptop is a Dinosaur and 1024MB of RAM ain't going to cut the ice these days!

    Bet the battery is shagged out too?
    !!
    Yeah, it is just for fun, buying nuts n bolts and panels on ebay.
    So better forget about it !? Sob ;(

    Have thrown away battery and cd drive many moons ago




    Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    204

    anyone know what this is?
    DDR, it was put into the laptop when I got it at the store;



  7. #47

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,588
    Quote Originally Posted by nickelodeon1997
    anyone know what this is?
    DDR, it was put into the laptop when I got it at the store;


    Looks like 4 Gig of RAM

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by huja
    Looks like 4 Gig of RAM
    thanks, then I don't need to upgrade the RAM then lol

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    895

    Exclamation Pointers for all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison
    Yeah, it is just for fun, buying nuts n bolts and panels on ebay.
    So better forget about it !? Sob ;(

    Have thrown away battery and cd drive many moons ago




    Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks


    Actually it MIGHT just be possible to acquire a replacement battery at SEG plaza or other sites in Futian district of Shumchun quite cheaply too - but quite possibly your antique computer is "Beyond the Pale".

    If you have a USB socket - you do have one or more? - then a USB DVD drive ain't too expensive - especially if got secondhand here or "another" abnoxious place in HK.








  10. #50

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,341

    Yes, batteries are still around and some stores really keep old parts,
    been to one big puter mart in Taipei and was surprised by what they stock


    Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks


Reply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast