Like Tree8Likes

Second hand DSLR pricing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Second hand DSLR pricing

Hi guys,

I have a bit of a weird question... So far I've been using SIM City center in MK as reference for DSLR pricings, both first and second hand. Recently I started to be tempted to renew my ancient Nikon D90 for a more recent D7100. I wanted to buy it second hand (as I also bought the D90 second hand and worked incredibly well for many years).

So I checked the price from price.com.hk and got 5380HKD first hand, 4580HKD parallel goods. Ok, so with those ones for reference I went to SIM City. There aren't many shops offering the D7100, they tend to have the way older D7000. When I finally found a couple, I was rather surprised to find their second hand price to be 4580HKD. Both of them, on the same floor, were having the same price.

Any reasons for this? Any ideas/suggestions?
    When I asked one of the shop dealers how come he was offering the same price as first hand gray imports, he made some miserable argumentation about the lines of:
    -Yeah, but if you buy gray import it doesn't have warranty.
    -Oh, so this second hand camera is still running on warranty? How much warranty time does it have left?
    -...1 month, provided by the shop.
    -......ookaay.

Any other idea of a reliable place to get a second hand camera for a proper price? Thanks a lot guys!

Last edited by timonoj; 18-09-2015 at 05:52 PM.

Go to a site like Review33 as there are a number of people selling used camera. You can arrange a meet up at an MTR to inspect before paying cash.There is a store in TST called Davids that also carries used cameras. On the HK side there are several stores in 298 and Wan Chai Computer Centre that sell used.

Nikon gray market does not have warranty and I have heard that Nikon HK will not fix gray even if you pay. That said, I'm pretty sure Nikon warranty only applies to first owner and is not transferable. When buying used, forget about the warranty and make sure you are satisfied upon inspection. Look for things like shutter count, signs of corrosion, look for screw heads that are chipped, any dents in the body. Take a picture with the lens cap on and look for hot pixels. Take a few snaps and review on the screen at high magnification. Ask the seller to give you the serial number and do an online search for any reports of stolen camera. If you do this you will get some assurance the camera works fine, and can be done fairly quickly.

wtbhotia and timonoj like this.

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj
    Hi guys,

I have a bit of a weird question... So far I've been using SIM City center in MK as reference for DSLR pricings, both first and second hand. Recently I started to be tempted to renew my ancient Nikon D90 for a more recent D7100. I wanted to buy it second hand (as I also bought the D90 second hand and worked incredibly well for many years).

So I checked the price from price.com.hk and got 5380HKD first hand, 4580HKD parallel goods. Ok, so with those ones for reference I went to SIM City. There aren't many shops offering the D7100, they tend to have the way older D7000. When I finally found a couple, I was rather surprised to find their second hand price to be 4580HKD. Both of them, on the same floor, were having the same price.

Any reasons for this? Any ideas/suggestions?
    When I asked one of the shop dealers how come he was offering the same price as first hand gray imports, he made some miserable argumentation about the lines of:
    -Yeah, but if you buy gray import it doesn't have warranty.
    -Oh, so this second hand camera is still running on warranty? How much warranty time does it have left?
    -...1 month, provided by the shop.
    -......ookaay.

Any other idea of a reliable place to get a second hand camera for a proper price? Thanks a lot guys!

SIM City 2nd hand camera -> they usually markup the price a lot, no need to buy from them

second hand camera buy/sell -> local camera forums
    timonoj likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs
    Go to a site like Review33 as there are a number of people selling used camera. You can arrange a meet up at an MTR to inspect before paying cash.There is a store in TST called Davids that also carries used cameras. On the HK side there are several stores in 298 and Wan Chai Computer Centre that sell used.

Nikon gray market does not have warranty and I have heard that Nikon HK will not fix gray even if you pay. That said, I'm pretty sure Nikon warranty only applies to first owner and is not transferable. When buying used, forget about the warranty and make sure you are satisfied upon inspection. Look for things like shutter count, signs of corrosion, look for screw heads that are chipped, any dents in the body. Take a picture with the lens cap on and look for hot pixels. Take a few snaps and review on the screen at high magnification. Ask the seller to give you the serial number and do an online search for any reports of stolen camera. If you do this you will get some assurance the camera works fine, and can be done fairly quickly.

Thanks a lot for the information and tips.
    So I just spent the last 30 minutes reading about the shutter count. I didn't know about this. I know now that mine is at 40K, still a bit under half of its minimum expected life span (100K). And that was some heavy photographing I did there...
    Also for the purpose of learning how, tested for hot pixels on my D90 and also in the clear. BTW, where would you suggest to check the S/N to see if it's stolen?

Thanks a lot for the help!
    shri likes this.

To OP - please have a read of this article. There is a link in there for a stolen camera database. Not saying that site is complete but it is a start. Don't mean to scare you as there are many used cameras that have found good homes but I know you want some peace of mind as well. Hope I helped a little.

Photog Accuses DigitalRev of Selling Him a Used Review Camera as New

timonoj likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj
    Any other idea of a reliable place to get a second hand camera for a proper price? !
    DCFever has a very active 2nd section: (with a few D7100)

DCFever ??????? - ????????????????? - DCFever.com
    Last edited by flameproof; 18-09-2015 at 08:26 PM.
    timonoj and wayland like this.

Thanks both! I didn't find much on review33, but I just saw something that looks proper on dcfever. I didn't know about the second hand forum. I'll check the S/N. Thanks guys!

My experience SimCity store have been getting more and more expensive over the past three years, some instances a used body actually costs more than a new one. I wouldn't trust their shop warranties either, i doubt any of those stores or repair shops in the building are capable of fixing a stuck shutter or replacing a camera mainboard.

If anything goes wrong with your used camera you will be better off sticking to the original manufacturer for repairs. Keep in mind some brands like Olympus and Panasonic charge around 350hkd more for repairs on grey market products.

I've had luck on the DCfever site as suggested above. Sometimes a seller will provide a slightly inaccurate description but you are always free to turn them down once you inspect the gear.

I wish DC Fever was in English too...

Yeah, that would help to make it easier...But so far Chrome/Chromium do a good job in auto-translating the page. It's just some expressions users write when posting that confuses the system a lot. By now I already know what usually translates as "flowers" in second hand items refers to "scratches", so 'no flowers' means it's unscathed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast