Yahoo mail or Gmail?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Thanks guys. Seems Gmail is the way forward!!

Now, only if Yahoo mail offered free mail forwarding, then I could move to Gmail AND keep my yahoo mail address!!!
    Yahoo does offer free forwarding but it depends which Yahoo country of origin service you use. I set up an account using the US based Yahoo service and was told I had to pay for forwarding. Then I set up an account using the Australian based service and forwarding is free.

But I also vote for Gmail... I just like it better... it's easier to use.
    Last edited by Myrona; 17-10-2008 at 11:26 AM.

I have found that having a "master" mail forwarding account is part of the best answer to this question of how to manage email. I have one mail address which is mine for life (free from my old Uni as it happens) and which I can configure to route to any underlying email service provider as I wish (pure mail redirection - no storage). Personally I prefer POP mail to webmail (I don't want my entire life in email conveniently hanging around on a server somewhere) but the principle of a master mail forwarder applies regardless.

Last edited by PDLM; 17-10-2008 at 11:24 AM.

Yes Yahoo mail is set up differently in different countries. I wanted free pop access and found that Yahoo Canada provides this along with free forwarding too.
    Otherwise, another vote for GMail. It is free, has loads-a-storage, refreshes every two minutes, free forwarding, free pop, no tag lines, imap for push mail and a client for my Treo (though I use a different one that supports imap).

Quote Originally Posted by Myrona:
    Yahoo does offer free forwarding but it depends which Yahoo country of origin service you use. I set up an account using the US based Yahoo service and was told I had to pay for forwarding. Then I set up an account using the Australian based service and forwarding is free.
    That explains alot! I use Yahoo Australia and hubby uses Yahoo USA - and we have different abilities to do stuff, and different amounts of spam (I get much less than him) - which I thought was really odd!

again very useful stuff!!

PDLM - do understand where you come from re POP. Problem is I have to access my email through 3 - 4 different computers, so setting up POP / IMAP in each location and having them syncing would be a nightmare.

I have Yahoo mail UK, I think it allows free pop and mail forwarding (looked into it after posts here), so that should help. Incidentally, found a great little article about "inbox heaven":

Inbox Heaven - The Ultimate Email Setup | Put Things Off

PDLM - do understand where you come from re POP. Problem is I have to access my email through 3 - 4 different computers, so setting up POP / IMAP in each location and having them syncing would be a nightmare.
    Indeed. I've thought long and hard about trying to set something up like this. One option I considered is running remote connections to my home PC, leaving that on permanently.

But in the end I decided that this is a lifestyle management issue rather than an email management issue. I'm not going to use email in a way that requires my entire life history of mails to be accessible to me 24*7 wherever I am. If I'm away from home then I can read new emails on the webmail interface of my ISP (Netvigator currently). Otherwise it can wait until I get home. Maybe I'm just getting old and my lifestyle is too relaxed, but I can't recall when I last had a significant problem with this.

again very useful stuff!!PDLM - do understand where you come from re POP. Problem is I have to access my email through 3 - 4 different computers, so setting up POP / IMAP in each location and having them syncing would be a nightmare.
    Why would IMAP be a problem? IMAP mail resides on a server and apart from pointing to that server you have no syncing to do manually. Works great what you see on one machine you would see on another machine. And if you use Thunderbird or Outlook 2007 sent boxes, etc can be viewed on all machines as well.

As aykay says. A good IMAP implementaton does not syncing problems what so ever. IMAP takes care of it.

We have users where 4 or 5 people send an receive all email from the same mail box/email address concurrently. All get to know what is going on. No lost mail or syncing issues. They use it like a simple collaboration tool and share the load of dealing with customers.

thanks jay and hk.com.

re IMAP. What if I like to archive and tag messages, etc? will that also follow through on the software.

thanks again?

On IMAP you can drag and drop an email from one account to another. ie you can pull emails from one provider and upload them to anothe provider. Which is very useful, such as when people email you at your personal address for work related to stuff.

To archive you can drag and drop your email to local folders and use your email clients archive functions.