Like Tree6Likes

Data recovery from hard disk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Londrino
    I managed to recover all the info from a failing WD My Passport using Data Rescue 4 for Mac.

It costed me US$99 to download the software.

They will allow you to test the software for free, to see if you'll be able to recover the information. After that, you can purchase it and use all the capabilities.

It took 10 hours to recover around 1.5GB worth of files.

Curiously enough, after using this software, my HD started working again.

Do NOT contact companies that offer this kind of service. They will rip you off.

Do it yourself, instead.
    This is some really terrible advice. cookie09 has mentioned that the drive is making clicking noises when its powered up, which generally means that it has suffered a "head crash". This is a mechanical fault which is not recoverable without opening the drive up and trying to salvage the magnetic platters (often involving transplanting them into a secondary working drive). In the case of a head crash, no software will be able to help recover the data, because the hard drive reading head is damaged and in fact, continued attempts to access the data can actually damage additional parts of the platter and make the entire situation worse.

If the drive has suffered a head crash, the only option is to go with one of these data recovery companies that have the equipment required to properly recover whatever undamaged data remains. Such data recovery software mentioned by Londrino only works when the hard drive itself is OK, but the file system has suffered corruption - which does not sound like the case in this instance!
    cookie09, jgl, CarterTG and 3 others like this.

I've heard of shops in SSP that does this type of repair; physically opening up the drive and swapping out bits of hardware so you can access the data again. From memory I think it was under 1k.

Quote Originally Posted by Londrino
    I managed to recover all the info from a failing WD My Passport using Data Rescue 4 for Mac.

It costed me US$99 to download the software.

They will allow you to test the software for free, to see if you'll be able to recover the information. After that, you can purchase it and use all the capabilities.

It took 10 hours to recover around 1.5GB worth of files.

Curiously enough, after using this software, my HD started working again.

Do NOT contact companies that offer this kind of service. They will rip you off.

Do it yourself, instead.
    Was your drive making the clicking noise, aka "the click of death" when you repaired it with this software?

The click is typically indicative of a head crash or toasted firmware. The latter you may be able fix by transplanting an identical PCB from another drive (same model, same firmware level), but that probably not something that most of us want to deal with. If it's a head crash, we're talking physical damage to the read/write heads and to the platters, which is going to require the drive to be opened up in a clean room.

@cookie09 on second thoughts, given how expensive a proper recovery services is, you might as well try either a second enclosure or better yet just direct connect the drive to your computer via a SATA cable. Long shots, but both are cheap to try.

I agree with the guys on the head crash clicking. Its not something you would open up casually and fix. You need proper clean room environment, getting the head back to alignment, etc. We are talking nanometers gap between heads and platter, so its not like something you can fix with a screwdriver

So it really depends how valuable the data is, and how much you are willing to fork out. which is why companies can charge an arm and leg because some data are so valuable to those people that they are willing to pay. You could take a bet on the SSP people but i doubt they have highly sophisticated equipment to do this. They could try replace the heads in a cleanish environment and realign the heads. Its a bet you have to take if you want it done cheap

incidentally I'm helping a colleague recover his drive and have been running the recovery for 3 days now. I hope it doesn't click anytime soon. Just need that bugger to stay strong a while longer and let me get all the data off it first

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2