Like Tree26Likes

Internet of Things - what could it mean to our lives

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Internet of Things - what could it mean to our lives

The IoT gets a lot press and it all seems potential with a few real life examples

What do you expect to change in your

1) Home
    2) Office
    3) leisure time

Because of the big data IoT devices can generate?

Hanna Nicholson likes this.

Mamba

Skynet and the coming of the Terminators.

Universal surveillance.

Mat and Morrison like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba:
    Skynet and the coming of the Terminators.
    Or the Matrix as well.

Artificial Intelligence to the degree of self-aware machines. Maybe that is not such a crazy far-off idea after all...

This "Big Data" in connection with IoT I don't get. Not in the sense as Big Data is used today. It would mean that a single entity gets hold of all data and processes it in their single system, and then link it to you. If it simply means "it's creating a lot of data", then yes for sure.

The following graph might give you some ideas. Theoretically there are many possibilities, but honestly I don't know if it's not a bit overblown for the moment.

Example: Theoretically you could connect your car and let it talk to the toll booth to pay toll automatically. Taking it a step further, some companies believe that the blockchain/Bitcoin was the missing payment-link for the internet, and imagine a drone paying you automagically for flying over your house, or a Google car paying for the parking space, etc. (drone talks to house, car talks to parking meter).

In the real world here in Hong Kong, we will probably be officially back with China (2047) before anything with the highway toll system or parking meters changes - given the way how the Autotoll thing works. I think this thing was updated at some point early 90s and in 2016 it will still take you a few faxes and paper forms and bank transfers or (god forbid) mailed cheques with deposits to sign up

Total surveillance is already in motion. Your smartphone knows everything about you, or your Octopus card record.

Last edited by 100LL; 30-11-2015 at 01:52 PM.
    bookblogger and jgl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    I think total surveillance is already in motion. Just think what your smartphone knows about you
    I agree, which is why I don't have one. I think they are a liability that very few people take seriously.

Lot of Data != Big Data

Most of IoT as I can see, will generate lots of data.

The internet of things is shaping up to one huge security mess. Think lowest cost producers, or companies that have zero interest in security (think manufacturers of cars, medical devices, fridges) having all their devices connected to the internet.

Worst fucking idea ever.

Do I swear on Geo much? No. But let me say again:

Worst fucking idea ever.

bugaboo and 100LL like this.

I see batteries in the future ... lots of batteries ...

shri likes this.

Internet of (Compromised) Things

https://geoexpat.com/forum/117/threa...ml#post3250437

That Twitter account I had linked is a good one to follow.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast