Like Tree20Likes

iPod touch dying, what to replace with?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

iPod touch dying, what to replace with?

Happy New Year!!!

My great, motivating gym partner 4th gen iPod touch is dying a slow death and I'm looking to replace with something less restrictive. My outdated iTunes is on a super old laptop and I can see it being a pain to transfer.Name:  ImageUploadedByGeoClicks1451609434.694184.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  298.9 KB

Are the upper end Cowon and Sony line that much better sounding? I would like to have an easy drag and drop interface that will do MP3, FLAC, and Other popular formats plus not tether me to one computer.

I don't need to check FB, play Angry Birds, or take selfies for six minutes in between every set so just a good portable player is needed. The next three months will be almost unbearable at the gym with New Year resolutions people so if I can "lose myself" in music it may not be so bad.

Any advice is appreciated

BTW I was thinking of joining Anytime fitness in Kowloon for the next few months if anybody has pricing, gym etiquette , or other reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Sony and more expensive askel and kern are pure music machines, no apps, low resolution screen, but amazing, high definition and mind blowing performance for music

Why not try and listen with a decent pair of headphones, hear the difference,

Whats your budget? If around hkd2000=2500, Sony a series, even has digital noise cancellation for noisy environment such as air planes, trains or air conditioning

If you can spend hkd4000, then your into mind blowing territories, zx100, then there is the highest zx2, but it's very expensive

Askel And kern starts from hkd3000 to hkd23k

Rule of thumb, if can't hear the difference in higher end one, go for cheaper one

What kind of earphones are good, simply for listening to voice records, tks

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison
    What kind of earphones are good, simply for listening to voice records, tks
    I presume you mean in ear phones. Vocals then, ones with great mid range, possibly even a warm type of sound, I recall a friends hkd 500 beyerdynamic was really good, others swear by shure entry level

What I am using for very good vocal or softer music ( poor for rock though) Is full size headphones akg 550, so wonderful but more expensive, not convenient to use outdoor due not so great sound isolation

Why not go to mingo head wear in mong Kok, their flagship store, have over 1000 ear phones to test and see what suitable for you as these items are very subjective
    Morrison likes this.

How much music do you own? If you have a lot of music then the iPod is the way to go for the ease of cataloging and accessing. Just turn on the device and find the song/album you want to listen to - we take such feature for granted. I have gone down this route and spent a lot of money on a high res player but it is so user unfriendly what extra quality I get out of them wasn't worth the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine
    How much music do you own? If you have a lot of music then the iPod is the way to go for the ease of cataloging and accessing. Just turn on the device and find the song/album you want to listen to - we take such feature for granted. I have gone down this route and spent a lot of money on a high res player but it is so user unfriendly what extra quality I get out of them wasn't worth the hassle.
    Just wondering. Was that an ibasso, hadizi or fiio?

Check out FiiO's family of DAP's. I just ordered an X1 and have been eyeing the M3 to replace my beloved SanDisk Sansa Clip.

FiiO-Born for Music and Happy

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    Just wondering. Was that an ibasso, hadizi or fiio?
    I have an ibasso. It sounds great no question. I am in to headphones since having a high end hi fi in a cramped apartment is out of the question. Ask me anything about headphones, DACs and amps. Anyway I started buying 24/192 hi res files so needed a player. The files sounds great but whether it is worth the US$25 bucks is up to the individual. I also have thousands of lossless files from my CD collection. iTunes is great with managing the catalog. If I had to listen to all this music on the ibasso I would likely not bother and just pop in the CD. The menu system is not unlike a typical menu on a digital camera - scrolling and sub menus and all that. If you have a few hundred songs then it might be fine but not if you have tons of music.
    Last edited by jonastainine; 02-01-2016 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine
    I have an ibasso. It sounds great no question. I am in to headphones since having a high end hi fi in a cramped apartment is out of the question. Ask me anything about headphones, DACs and amps. Anyway I started buying 24/192 hi res files so needed a player. The files sounds great but whether it is worth the US$25 bucks is up to the individual. I also have thousands of lossless files from my CD collection. iTunes is great with managing the catalog. If I had to listen to all this music on the ibasso I would likely not bother and just pop in the CD. The menu system is not unlike a typical menu on a digital camera - scrolling and sub menus and all that. If you have a few hundred songs then it might be fine but not if you have tons of music.
    Every one has different requirements

I don't like iTunes, reason why I got my wife to change to non apple phone

Point being, I like my media on my digital audio player to be transferable (without a media management) so I can transfer it to my car sd card, TV usb, home cinema amplifier usb, to other people phones via Bluetooth Or WhatsApp, I love drag and drop, even a hotel tv usb can play it and use the TV remote to select tracks

Yes, ibasso is a China designed product, clunky design ui, not nice, not too dissimilar to xiaomi high end phones

On the other hand a Sony or askel and kern, has great ui, easy to navigate design, And physical tactile playback, next track, previous track, next album/artists button which is great for usage while still in a pocket

Even better, with idac (high definition Bluetooth, 3 times the bit rate and minimal compression) wireless with no compromise

I have a marantz cd player, marantz amplifier and tannoys speakers for home usage
    Last edited by imparanoic; 02-01-2016 at 09:58 AM.
    shri likes this.

Thanks for the advice. I have read up on the Sony A series surprisingly good bundled headphones, drag and drop, and will transfer/convert music from iTunes directly. It seems that my old laptop will not recognize my iPod using generic cable, is OEM needed for transferring data?

Great advice about Mingo headphones, I have been eyeing the Shure SE line but if an Xiaomi Piston 3 sounds the same to me I'll go that route. My current IEM is the Moxpad X6 that I have been really impressed with but is a bit bass headish for me. Both the Xiaomi and Moxpad have been compared to the Shure se215 at 5x the price, so if my ears can't hear the difference I'll let my wallet feel the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast