Now Broadband speed?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Now Broadband speed?

I know this has been covered a few times already, just want to check some views.

I signed up to an 8MB package. Am well aware that to get that speed I would have to be very close to the exchange.

At present the fastest speed I get is around 3MB.

Is this simply because of external factors out of PCCW's control, or could it be that there is a fault on my line.

I have over the past week tried to contact Now Broadband, but I keep on getting put on hold.

Thanks!

Speed to where? You should get 8MB from any site on PCCW's network. Beyond that it's the internet. The internet is a "best efforst" network - no guarantee of anything.

Having said that, my 6MB connection normally delivers close to 6MBit/s in downloads when I push it (but it normally takes multiple streams because very few servers, at least the ones I seem to visit, want to deliver 6MBit/s in a single stream).

I heard somewhere that from the 8Mb line, 6Mb was reserved for the NowTV.
    Is that true?

Not true. When you are streaming a NOW channel then obviously that will consume a lot of the bandwidth (3-4MBit/s or so). But when you're not streaming a channel pretty much the whole bandwidth is available to the internet. I regularly get 6MBit/s downloads out of my 6Mbit/s connection.

deleteduser

It is true, but only when Now TV is turned on.

When it's off, internet will max out at 6.3 Mbps.
    When it is on, you will max out at about 2Mbps

So presumably, if they are giving you 8Mbps, NowTV is taking 6Mbps.

I think it's more likely that you always get 6Mbps, but NowTV takes up 4Mbps when in use.

If im not mistaking PCCV limits internet outside HK to 2mb, regardless what package you opted for.
    I might be wrong but im pretty sure that im right on this one.

Not mine it doesn't. I get my full 6Mbit/s to servers outside HK quite regularly.

how close does it come to 100Mbps (or was it 80, the fastest one is the one i mean)?

Mine has its moments, but it seems to hate multiple connections being made, and makes web browsing a painful experience. I wonder if this is due to my flatmate's bittorrent habit...
    A reset of the piss-poor "wireless router" they rented me usually fixes it.
    Can it be replaced with a less generic brand, does anyone know?

deleteduser
    Quote Originally Posted by JohanSWE:
    If im not mistaking PCCV limits internet outside HK to 2mb, regardless what package you opted for.
    I might be wrong but im pretty sure that im right on this one.
    Now that is wrong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast