Like Tree18Likes

Thinking of getting a full frame camera and lens

Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,753
    Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs
    Nikon sensors have surpassed Canon's in terms of dynamic range captured. Their AF and flash systems have always been the best out there. However, I find the Canon lens lineup to be more extensive and slightly cheaper across the board. Plus Canon does IS really well.
    You do realise that by "Nikon sensors" you actually mean Sony? Agreed on lens choice though.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    618

    Leica Snob now issit? When I was a lad we didn't have Leicas. We had a piece of coal and drew our portraits on old fish wrappings. And then we had to eat them if there wasn't any broken glass for dinner that night.


  3. #23

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,592
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    You seem to have underlying belief that social media is a worthwhile area for photographic effort

    Personally my photos are for memories, and I'd prefer to be able to share slightly higher quality memories than what's produced by a smartphone.

    My phone is used to take photos of jokey shit that I find in HK that I will forget about after a week and never return to.
    As a former professional photographer, I am unable to casually take photos when I break out my gear. I'm all in. I'm in work mode. I sacrifice the joy of the moment in order to make the picture. That's why I keep it simple with the phone.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by huja
    As a former professional photographer, I am unable to casually take photos when I break out my gear. I'm all in. I'm in work mode. I sacrifice the joy of the moment in order to make the picture. That's why I keep it simple with the phone.
    I totally get that. Which is why I enjoy being an extremely literally amateur photographer gearophile wanker

    There is a brilliant passage in Mark Twain's "Life on the Mississippi" where he describes a glorious sunset scene on the river so that you really wished you had been there. Then he puts on his River Pilot's Hat and lists all the weather and treacherous currents and navigational hazards data he can pull out of that same scene.

    One way of looking at this is that we should be careful what we specialise in: even if we think we love it. After really diving in, it will never be quite the same again. Maybe better, maybe worse. Another example: Before Amazon, they used to say that if you loved books, never even dream of opening a book store.
    jgl and huja like this.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,753
    Quote Originally Posted by huja
    As a former professional photographer, I am unable to casually take photos when I break out my gear. I'm all in. I'm in work mode. I sacrifice the joy of the moment in order to make the picture. That's why I keep it simple with the phone.
    Sounds like you could do with a Lomo camera

    So if 80% of your photos are with a phone, then the other 20% are with something fancier? And if so, are these work photos or for yourself?
    Last edited by jgl; 02-05-2016 at 10:16 AM.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Sounds like you could do with a Lomo camera
    Going even further off-topic, I can't get my head around why any right-minded person would buy a Lomo when they can head off to TST/MK/SSP and buy all kinds of cheap as chips 'obsolete' pro film cameras and high end manual focus glass for same. Or even cheaper than chips early 70s Japanese fixed lens rangefinders.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,592
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Sounds like you could do with a Lomo camera

    So if 80% of your photos are with a phone, then the other 20% are with something fancier? And if so, are these work photos or for yourself?
    At this point the good stuff is for myself or favors for friends.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,753
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinch
    Going even further off-topic, I can't get my head around why any right-minded person would buy a Lomo when they can head off to TST/MK/SSP and buy all kinds of cheap as chips 'obsolete' pro film cameras and high end manual focus glass for same. Or even cheaper than chips early 70s Japanese fixed lens rangefinders.
    Because if you're going to be a creative, individualist creator of alternative art, you've got to have exactly the same plastic toy camera as all the other funky individualistic visionaries.

    Also 70s cameras were made with too much precision, you might accidentally get things sharp and in focus which is a total waste of film.
    Kinch, huja and TigerSun like this.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    1,766

    Here is my take on Lomotography - you can always make something that was sharp into something that is out of focused, blurred, light leak, etc. But you cannot do the reverse.


  10. #30

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    859

    6D is fabulous value with excellent low light performance.

    IIRC, you lose auto focus if you use adaptors on the Sony. And yes, the battery performance on the A7 is horrible, you need to carry several batteries.

    Agree that buying a 5dMk3 at this point is not advisable as it's well due for an update.

    If possible, can I add onto your purchase to get that discount? Wouldn't mind adding another Canon lens.


Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast