Like Tree18Likes

Thinking of getting a full frame camera and lens

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jgl

Also 70s cameras were made with too much precision, you might accidentally get things sharp and in focus which is a total waste of film.
    I have a Nikon FM2N that feels like it's cast from a single block of steel. It's a beautiful instrument with the best light meter I've ever used on any camera . . . and you can pound nails with it without so much as scratching it. They don't make 'em like they use to.
    Kinch likes this.

Going back 20 years, my father brought from a back of a van 3 bags of photography gear for 500. It was obviously stolen, and we never appreciated the equipment at the time as I was way too young and the rest of the family didn't have a clue how to use them....that's my father for you.

IIRC there was 2 x 35mm film cameras, I recall one being Pentax and a Canon EOD. 2 professional tripods, 3 flash guns, a gazillion adapters and filters, and about 10 different lens.

I wished I still had the stuff.

Anyway, I've had a hands on feel in the A7II with the Sony 24-70mm f2.8 GM and it does play sleek. I've looked online about using the Canon equivalent lens on the same body, and all the theory of it being lighter than the Sony lens goes out of the window as you have to factor in the weight of the adapter (which ends up heavier than the Sony lens). It ends up slightly heavier than my current 550d with the 18-200 f5.0 lens, but the way the Sony body is shaped and feels makes my perception of it as lighter. I'll have adjust my grip slightly with left arm due to how much weight is now at the front.

And OMG, Sony pumps out so many accessories for their range of cameras, it's like stepping into a toy store.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus
    And OMG, Sony pumps out so many accessories for their range of cameras, it's like stepping into a toy store.
    Do they still take the piss out of their customers by not including a battery charger in the box when you buy the A7II and make you buy one as a separate 'accessory' if you want to charge your battery outside of the camera? Which you most assuredly do since you're going to need at least two batteries given battery life issues with the tiny Sony batteries.

When it comes to things like branded batteries, lens hoods and filters, Sony has learned a good lesson from Leica: There's always someone who will pay whatever outrageous price they ask for an accessory. Says the man who paid full retail for an RX1-R lens hood once upon a time.

Still have a soft sport for the Sony RX1-R I used to own. Superb IQ, shockingly poor autofocus, and the usual retarded Sony haptics and menus. But the images!
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinch
    Do they still take the piss out of their customers by not including a battery charger in the box when you buy the A7II and make you buy one as a separate 'accessory' if you want to charge your battery outside of the camera? Which you most assuredly do since you're going to need at least two batteries given battery life issues with the tiny Sony batteries.

When it comes to things like branded batteries, lens hoods and filters, Sony has learned a good lesson from Leica: There's always someone who will pay whatever outrageous price they ask for an accessory. Says the man who paid full retail for an RX1-R lens hood once upon a time.

Still have a soft sport for the Sony RX1-R I used to own. Superb IQ, shockingly poor autofocus, and the usual retarded Sony haptics and menus. But the images!
    I didn't check out the contents of the box.....

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus
    I didn't check out the contents of the box.....
    A7 Mark 2 body kits all come with an external charger.

Yes, I did watch an unboxing video. And yes, I am ashamed of myself.
    Kinch and jgl like this.

I think my wife has a Canon D5 Mk1 model which is a full frame, she doesnt use it anymore. It is worth selling these days?

Kinchy, how long did you own the RX1-R and why did you end up selling it ?

I have an opportunity to buy one that is brand new old shelf stock quite cheaply. I lost interest in the DSLR bs a while ago, as they arent travel or street photography friendly. I stick with the rule of 3rds and concentrate on the quality of my composition.

Plus where I like to shoot, you're likely to get bashed lol for shooting a big telephoto lensed camera in the hood .

Love my Fuji X100S but want to upgrade, as I really like pin sharp detail and rich vibrant colours, so the Sony Rx1-R sounds like the perfect upgrade to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    Kinchy, how long did you own the RX1-R and why did you end up selling it ?

I have an opportunity to buy one that is brand new old shelf stock quite cheaply. I lost interest in the DSLR bs a while ago, as they arent travel or street photography friendly. I stick with the rule of 3rds and concentrate on the quality of my composition.

Plus where I like to shoot, you're likely to get bashed lol for shooting a big telephoto lensed camera in the hood .

Love my Fuji X100S but want to upgrade, as I really like pin sharp detail and rich vibrant colours, so the Sony Rx1-R sounds like the perfect upgrade to me.
    I had it for about a year and a half. Ended up giving it to a friend because I just wasn't using it very much any more.

In a nutshell, I bought it because of the rave reviews about image quality / matched lens + sensor combination. Unfortunately a few months later I was walking through IFC minding my own business when this guy Boris from the Leica Store jumped out and forcibly pimped me an M240 + 35 and 50 Summiluxes. After that things went downhill rapidly and I metamorphosed Gregor Samsa-like into the dreaded Leica Snob.

I'd recommend the RX1-R for landscapes, closeups, and environmental portraits when you can prevail upon your victim to be still-ish.

The auto-focus really isn't brilliant. Can hunt a bit. So I wouldn't personally use it for street photography of the jump in front of people variety. If you're prepared to be a sneaky bastard like HCB then might have some luck with pre-focus, zone, hyperfocal cogitations, etc.

You'll need something like Lightroom to do lens corrections. Like many modern lenses, they've traded off things you can fix in post-processing the RAW vs things best handled at photon bucket filling time.

I had mine on a Really Right Stuff L plate with hand grip. Made it bulkier but somewhat improved the ergonomics. The haptics / menus will still be the usual Sony pig's breakfast.

It's certainly got the jump on the X100S (had one of those for a while too) for IQ. The X100S has better AF though (not that that's saying much!).

Re the X100S. Apparently the XTrans RAW files are much better decoded by some processing software cf. others. I haven't kept up with this, so you might want to google around and see if you can extract more goodness out of what you already have.

So I can't give a big yay or nay. I do think that the X100S is a better street photogaphy camera. YMMV.
    Skyhook likes this.

I had it for about a year and a half. Ended up giving it to a friend because I just wasn't using it very much any more.

In a nutshell, I bought it because of the rave reviews about image quality / matched lens + sensor combination. Unfortunately a few months later I was walking through IFC minding my own business when this guy Boris from the Leica Store jumped out and forcibly pimped me an M240 + 35 and 50 Summiluxes. After that things went downhill rapidly and I metamorphosed Gregor Samsa-like into the dreaded Leica Snob.

I'd recommend the RX1-R for landscapes, closeups, and environmental portraits when you can prevail upon your victim to be still-ish.

The auto-focus really isn't brilliant. Can hunt a bit. So I wouldn't personally use it for street photography of the jump in front of people variety. If you're prepared to be a sneaky bastard like HCB then might have some luck with pre-focus, zone, hyperfocal cogitations, etc.

You'll need something like Lightroom to do lens corrections. Like many modern lenses, they've traded off things you can fix in post-processing the RAW vs things best handled at photon bucket filling time.

I had mine on a Really Right Stuff L plate with hand grip. Made it bulkier but somewhat improved the ergonomics. The haptics / menus will still be the usual Sony pig's breakfast.

It's certainly got the jump on the X100S (had one of those for a while too) for IQ. The X100S has better AF though (not that that's saying much!).

Re the X100S. Apparently the XTrans RAW files are much better decoded by some processing software cf. others. I haven't kept up with this, so you might want to google around and see if you can extract more goodness out of what you already have.

So I can't give a big yay or nay. I do think that the X100S is a better street photogaphy camera. YMMV.
    Thanks Kinchy, awesome reply, I'll keep the x100s and get the RX1-R as an extra camera for landscapes , architecture and portraits. Certainly the sony will do video much better than the fuji too.

Thank you for your advice mate.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 05-05-2016 at 10:13 PM.

I have a Canon 70D and I would like to go full frame sooner or later. I do crop a lot sometimes (but this is also because I don't have a tele photo lens yet). I also use my living room as a home studio at times and only rely on natural light. Your reply made me think I am the perfect candidate for this upgrade.
    Do you agree? Sooner better than later?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast