Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Lord Dashwood
  • 2 Post By huja
  • 1 Post By Kinch

Canon lens - new or used

Canon lens - new or used

I need to buy a Canon 70-200mm f2.8 (possibly mark II) for my Canon 70D. New or used? Recommendations on the choice and on a reliable shop for both options, please? Thanks

Sim City in Mong Kok...about two dozen shops to play off against each other for your business...

vale likes this.

I'd be very wary of fungus in used lenses in Hong Kong with the humidity.

https://youtu.be/COpa8dpEXw8

vale and Lord Dashwood like this.

Thanks for the suggestions. Not being very technical myself, I am scared of making a bad second hand purchase and I am keener on a new lens already. Does anyone buy online on t-dimension? Prices seem reasonable.

No suggested retailers, sorry. Buy all my glass in the U.S.

KEH.com is a good source for well-appraised second-hand photo gear, but their shipping charges are swingeing.

I also buy from various places in Hong Kong too. Unfortunately can't recommend one because they're more Leica, Zeiss, and exotic old glass centric. However, I get the impression that any serious second hand dealer (as opposed to guy with a cardboard box in Ap Liu Street) won't let any fungus-affected lens onto his shelves. Everyone is paranoid that the fungus spores will jump ship to neighbouring lenses, or that a customer finding a bad lens will assume that all the store's stock hasn't been looked after properly.

Re fungus, scratches, and checking lenses before buying: Google Ken Rockwell on this. There's much online derision out there amongst the snobs about Rockwell, but he knows his concrete factual stuff very well. (What some people don't like is that he tends to enjoy joking around and taking the piss when making subjective judgements.)

Rockwell has a good page on what you should be looking for when you buy a second hand lens. Fungus is easy enough to spot and doesn't look anything like dust. You also need to look out for lubricant fogging, but I doubt this would be an issue in APS-C lenses since they're not very ancient.

Scratched front elements often make zero difference to the image quality. You would be amazed how much abuse a lens front element can take before IQ starts to degrade.

Last edited by Kinch; 14-05-2016 at 11:28 AM.
    vale likes this.

Thank you! Very helpful.