Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jgl

Electric Skateboards in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Electric Skateboards in Hong Kong

I've recently been thinking about getting an electric skateboard for my commute to and from school. Its on a hill and is in quite a remote area.
    However, any sort of transportation which is gas/electric powered is banned from the streets. Riding them on the streets could result in a $5000 fine and 3 months imprisonment (if I remember correctly).
    My question is, does the police in force this law strictly? Or could I get away saying I didn't know it was illegal? I'm currently still 16 and I'm wondering if they would actually throw me in jail.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Zx3Chuko:
    I've recently been thinking about getting an electric skateboard for my commute to and from school. Its on a hill and is in quite a remote area.
    However, any sort of transportation which is gas/electric powered is banned from the streets. Riding them on the streets could result in a $5000 fine and 3 months imprisonment (if I remember correctly).
    My question is, does the police in force this law strictly? Or could I get away saying I didn't know it was illegal? I'm currently still 16 and I'm wondering if they would actually throw me in jail.
    Thank you!
    If you don't end up in the back of a police car, you'll likely end up in a ambulance.

Quote Originally Posted by Zx3Chuko:
    Thank you!
    This is what they'll do to you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7mzPapDJc0

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Given your age, you'll likely just get a fine. Although perhaps you'll have a nice (lazy) policeman who lets you off with a warning. The last thing you want is a conviction.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Given your age, you'll likely just get a fine. Although perhaps you'll have a nice (lazy) policeman who lets you off with a warning..
    Anyone else agree with this?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Read this.
    It does go on to say that there was a man riding an e-bike in front of an officer and he/she didn't bat an eye. Maybe they just don't enforce it well in quiet areas?

I'm only going to use my board on a ~1km uphill stretch of quiet road. I've only seen an police car twice in two years so far. I just want to know the consequences so i can decide if i should risk it.

Anyways thanks for your replies!

Can a battery powered board really help going up HK hills? Do they have enough power?

imparanoic likes this.

I'm sure they're fine for the small hills where I live(new territorys) but I think they might struggle on the steep hills of central