Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Flat Hunter
  • 1 Post By TheBrit
  • 1 Post By civil_servant
  • 4 Post By DirtyHairy

A Facebook question for the IT savvy

Reply
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    9,528

    A Facebook question for the IT savvy

    I was banned from a group on Facebook yesterday (for the oddest of reasons - it was a support group for people with a health problem and I apparently got better too quickly so they decided I was "promoting miracle cures"). Anyway, I wanted to get my posts back, as they form a record of a difficult period in my life and I wanted to collate them together. So I asked my husband to join - but he was instantly banned - fair enough, it's clear he's my husband.

    So I created a brand new Facebook account with a fake name and different email address... and they apparently knew it was me.

    So - Facebook hackers among you - how is that possible? (I turned on ALL the privacy settings etc and there was nothing linking to me at all). Does this mean this strange Admin is hacking my IP address or something? Because if so, I find that rather scary and would like to do something about it since she's clearly unhinged.......


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Yuen Long
    Posts
    1,509

    Going by this you can't...however maybe someone knows differently. https://www.facebook.com/help/commun...02866601333868

    HK_Katherine likes this.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18,596

    Probably just guessed it was you. Fake Facebook profiles can't be hard to spot. No friends, no history, coming just after your banning and your husbands banning. Try again in a month or two.

    Or PM some of the Geoexpat multiple banned but still return folks for advice

    civil_servant likes this.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,648
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    I was banned from a group on Facebook yesterday (for the oddest of reasons - it was a support group for people with a health problem and I apparently got better too quickly so they decided I was "promoting miracle cures"). Anyway, I wanted to get my posts back, as they form a record of a difficult period in my life and I wanted to collate them together. So I asked my husband to join - but he was instantly banned - fair enough, it's clear he's my husband.

    So I created a brand new Facebook account with a fake name and different email address... and they apparently knew it was me.

    So - Facebook hackers among you - how is that possible? (I turned on ALL the privacy settings etc and there was nothing linking to me at all). Does this mean this strange Admin is hacking my IP address or something? Because if so, I find that rather scary and would like to do something about it since she's clearly unhinged.......
    Well, someone gets banned, then someone signs up immediately with a brand new account, I'd assume that attracts suspicion.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,648
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Probably just guessed it was you. Fake Facebook profiles can't be hard to spot. No friends, no history, coming just after your banning and your husbands banning. Try again in a month or two.

    Or PM some of the Geoexpat multiple banned but still return folks for advice
    Haha, you beat me to it. I was going to mention geoexpat but then left it out.
    TheBrit likes this.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    9,528
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Probably just guessed it was you. Fake Facebook profiles can't be hard to spot. No friends, no history, coming just after your banning and your husbands banning. Try again in a month or two.

    Or PM some of the Geoexpat multiple banned but still return folks for advice
    Although if you turn on full privacy (which I did) then you cannot see anyones posts or friends anyway - so you cannot know there are none there surely? My husband turned his on full after being banned (I think he slipped recently, he's always been very sensitive about what people can see in the past) and if I looked at his page through the eyes of my "new" one, they looked much the same (i.e. pretty much nothing there).

    But sure, I guess it was just a guess. Which makes me sad for any privacy conscious real person trying to join about how....except that they group admin is so weird that perhaps being prevented is a bonus!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,237
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    Although if you turn on full privacy (which I did) then you cannot see anyones posts or friends anyway - so you cannot know there are none there surely? My husband turned his on full after being banned (I think he slipped recently, he's always been very sensitive about what people can see in the past) and if I looked at his page through the eyes of my "new" one, they looked much the same (i.e. pretty much nothing there).

    But sure, I guess it was just a guess. Which makes me sad for any privacy conscious real person trying to join about how....except that they group admin is so weird that perhaps being prevented is a bonus!
    I run a Facebook group for teachers and I am the sole admin. Our main problem is spammers. Red flags for me:

    People who are members of 100s of groups.
    People who joined years ago but have very few posts.
    People who joined recently and keep everything private.
    Otherwise normal people with a posting history except that all the posts are from bots. or they're memes or whatever.

    You get a feel for it after a while. I'm sure I block some genuine people.