End of an era...No I am NOT talking about Bush

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

This is what techies do in their spare time. At there is nobody arguing about the merits of different machine naming conventions.

And the Wii is clearly the best gaming system because it's sold as many units as the Xbox360 and the PS3 combined...

I guess by the same logic, you'd have to argue that Windows is clearly the best operating system and the Toyota Corolla as the highest selling car ever must be the best car.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

And thus VHS was better than Betamax...

This could be the seed of a word game.

NTSC to PAL.

vi vs emacs

dot.zen

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    This could be the seed of a word game.

NTSC to PAL.
    Blu-ray v HD-DVD

er2

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    You want an example? Easy. Win 3.1 couldn't provide pre-emptive multitasking. OS2 and AmigaOS could. That's pretty fundamental to a good OS, wouldn't you say?

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure that Win 3.1 was even a proper OS. It was more of a graphical shell smacked on top of DOS, replete with it's crippled memory management model. The fact that you had to reference HIMEM or EMM386 in a bootup config really should have clued you in that the fundamental OS design was a messy compromise.
    In the world where I live, OSes where supposed to offer functionality that can be used by people. Not great design that cannot be used by people.

No, I would say pre-emptive multitasking was not fundamental to a good OS at _that_ time, at least not in _that_ market. Fundamental was that I could buy a new machine and a new OS without having to buy all new programs. You know, compromises, even if messy, make things work.

A Toyota Corolla is arguably not the best car since, in its market, there are other model that offer different (or better) features at a similar price point. A Canon 300D is a much better example. It was a crippled DSLR. Lot of stuff removed just to keep the 10D / 20D market intact. But it was a DSLR below 1000$.

Quote Originally Posted by dot.zen
    vi vs emacs

dot.zen
    Congratulations on the geekiest post yet

MiniDisc vs mp3.

minidisc didn't not really compete with mp3, actuallly MD was a replacement for the humble casette as it allows the factility of recording on to a physcial media
    MD's rival was long dead in the making, eg, phillips DCC, however, DAT has it's own niche within the digital professional recording markets, just as sony is still marketing the minidisc in the same category.

MP3 rivals AAC, FLAC, WMA, etc as it's a compression technique for audio files and not really a physical format. (though you can compare mp3 to MD's atrac compression method)

Please note, only within the last ten years, betacam (professional ver of betamax) was still used by professionals uptil the mid/late 90's even though it's consumer variant died back in the 80's

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast