End of an era...No I am NOT talking about Bush

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by dot.zen
    You trying to out-geek me, son?
    I'll LART you into submission, unless the velociraptors get you first.
    Hardly... I'm just a nostalgic ex-techie with an appreciation for the genius that is xkcd.
    Last edited by jgl; 07-11-2008 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    It was more like

Walkman CD vs Minidisc

(MD was a pretty nifty idea, and made even more so by the Japanese with their 45 hour record times)y punters.
    Yeah, it was. But it was a short-lived thing. I had an MD player and loved it for a short time. But MD was a popular alternative because it allowed people to take much more music along using much less space - the player and the media were less cumbersome.

But then, along came the BIG mp3 players. So the strengths of the MD player (from the perspective of commercial appeal) were very quickly superseded by these. Why carry around any media, even if it's smaller than a CD, when you can have all the music you ever need stored on the player itself?

Yeah, MD was a good idea that was slaughtered by another technology about 5 years later.

Funny that the biggest criticism of MD was that it used a lossy format vs. CD. But nowdays nobody cares that MP3 is also lossy (and the more common MP3 encoding rates are noticeably worse than ATRAC).

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6