End of an era...No I am NOT talking about Bush

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

End of an era...No I am NOT talking about Bush

Just read this piece of news on BBC -
    BBC NEWS | Technology | The end of an era - Windows 3.x

An application has expectedly quit.

Windows 3.x has come to the closing moments of its long life.

On 1 November Microsoft stopped issuing licences for the software that made its debut in May 1990 in the US.

The various versions of Windows 3.x (including 3.11) released in the early 1990s, were the first of Microsoft's graphical user interfaces to win huge worldwide success.

They helped Microsoft establish itself and set the trend for how it makes its revenues, and what drives the company until the present day.

Read on...

And not a moment too soon just like Bush...Crappy software and crappy president...

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk
    And not a moment too soon just like Bush...Crappy software and crappy president...
    Don't really agree. I think windows and Gates revolutionise the PC usage. They made it possible for a non-techno joe.

They just stole apple's idea though ... those mac's had "windows" long before bill did....

er2

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk
    What nonsense. Can you name an operating system that didn't require tons of cash or mainframes that was even half of what windows was then? I remember System 7 and imho it was vastly inferior to WfW.

er2

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    They just stole apple's idea though ... those mac's had "windows" long before bill did....
    Well. Both stole from Xerox, to be precise. Apple did a better job at that. But as of 1991, WfW was more than on par with System 7, and back then Macs were out of reach financially for most users.

Pretty cool software for it's time, but the real improvements came imo with win95.

you pay less, you get less...

And the settlement Widnow had to do with Apple led to Microsoft having to develop the Office software for the Mac on a parallel track as Windows amongst other things...That's an admission of guilt.

You may or may not like the Mac environment/system but there are very few who didn't consider it as superior to Windows. Always been way more stable and the technical support required was/is a lot less. Commonly you had technicians servicing/installing at a ration of up to 1 for 400 machines where typically the Windows environment was/is 1 to 60/70 machines. That's one of the many reasons schools went Mac... A technician salary easily offsets the extra cost per machine and in many cases, they were maintained by one teacher in the school.

Quote Originally Posted by er2
    What nonsense. Can you name an operating system that didn't require tons of cash or mainframes that was even half of what windows was then? I remember System 7 and imho it was vastly inferior to WfW.
    OS2 Warp?

Quote Originally Posted by er2
    You musn't have been a techie back then.

AmigaOS. Kicked the living crap out of Windows 3.x, and pretty much anything up to XP.

Much more stable, better memory management, proper multitasking (you could ray trace and use a full WYSIWYG DTP app with no performance hit).

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast