Like Tree3Likes

LastPass Goes Ad-Supported

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LastPass Goes Ad-Supported

Bunch of premium features are now free, but it seems moving to an ad supported model.

https://blog.lastpass.com/2016/11/ge...now-free.html/

Saw the announcement this morning - did not see the bit about ad supported.

I really don't mind paying, but free for the rest of the family so that I can share my passwords with them is perfect - esp on the mobile app which is also supposed to be free, soon.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Saw the announcement this morning - did not see the bit about ad supported.

I really don't mind paying, but free for the rest of the family so that I can share my passwords with them is perfect - esp on the mobile app which is also supposed to be free, soon.
    Ads are coming.

Family share is only one shared folder, not whichever site you want to choose.

I wouldn't be surprised if sub fees go up in the future.

OK, my read on the PR was that they're going to use their enterprise subscriptions to subsidise / support the free offering. Like what TeamViewer does.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    OK, my read on the PR was that they're going to use their enterprise subscriptions to subsidise / support the free offering. Like what TeamViewer does.
    In effect the price of subs have already gone up. Same price, less features now.

bdw

I just use GOOGLE KEEP these days, which is completely free. has two factor authentication, and a function to share notes with other people. Is there anything I am missing out on here?

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    I just use GOOGLE KEEP these days, which is completely free. has two factor authentication, and a function to share notes with other people. Is there anything I am missing out on here?
    You use google keep for passwords?

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    Umm... not a great idea, but I can also see the logic... Google is using 2FA, and they do use HTTPS ... but still... Keep isn't a password manager ...

I dunno, I can't really say anything that's really wrong about using Keep .. hhmmm, you might be on to something really

Quote Originally Posted by robertlempriere
    Umm... not a great idea, but I can also see the logic... Google is using 2FA, and they do use HTTPS ... but still... Keep isn't a password manager ...

I dunno, I can't really say anything that's really wrong about using Keep .. hhmmm, you might be on to something really
    Lastpass is solid for things like autofill, random password generation etc mind you.
    robertlempriere likes this.

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    You use google keep for passwords?
    I do. I was a bit reluctant at first and can see your surprise, but yeah I do now. Both keep and lastpass are cloud based with all your passwords being trusted to a third party. Does LP have an extra layer of security that keep doesnt? With keep 2FA nobody can access my google account even if they know my password, every new device I try to access my google keep on has to go through some SMS or telephone verification.

I guess is not very secure from the point of view if someone knows my windows laptop login and accesses my laptop without my knowledge, or puts my thumbprint on my iphone while I am passed out drunk in a nightclub or something, then they can access my keep account. Any other way?

On a separate topic, I notice standard chartered bank are the first to update their internet banking app to use fingerprints now. I can now login my bank account and do everything without login and password, just touch my fingerprint on the home button of my phone.
    robertlempriere likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast