Like Tree26Likes

Which air purifier and where to buy?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Which air purifier and where to buy?

Yesterday's disgusting smog has prompted us to buy an air purifier. Does anyone have any recommendations please?

I'm currently using Daikin's Streamer Discharge Air Purifier. It's silent, has turbo mode for heavy usage (during cleaning) and most importantly it reduces the air pollutants in my house.

There is Balmuda jetclean from Japan as well. The cleaner removes the VOC.

Might be worth looking at these slightly older threads:

https://geoexpat.com/forum/115/thread335973.html

And for epic amounts of air purifying geekery - https://geoexpat.com/forum/32/thread317529.html

The Philips ones-with the hole-are very good. We have a few and they work fine. Can buy at Broadway or Fortress for app. HKD 3500,-

merchantms likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkava
    I'm currently using Daikin's Streamer Discharge Air Purifier. It's silent, has turbo mode for heavy usage (during cleaning) and most importantly it reduces the air pollutants in my house.
    I looked at that product page, and from my slightly obsessive but strictly amateur understanding of how air purification works, that Daikin is going to do sweet FA.

Electrostatic purification is hugely ineffective, for starters you'd have to be cleaning the filter on a daily basis otherwise the surfaces would get clogged. Electrostatic purification was promoted by Ionic Breeze a couple of decades ago, and was as complete scam. So unless the technology is different (Daikin does come from the industrial side of the fence) then I cannot see this being effective.

Secondly, if they are using a photogenically process, this is not going to be effective with a constantly moving stream of air unless you're pumping so much energy into the area that the device becomes some kind of portable death ray.

There's just no way I can see this thing really working, unless their 'prefilter' is really a HEPA filter. Which is unlikely from the description.

Edit: In a nutshell, a purifier is about as simple a piece of technology as you can possibly get. It's a fan blowing air through a mechanical filter. Get the biggest fan and the biggest filter you can. Ignore anything else because it's probably marketing bullshit. Plasma-ionising-whatever, air sensors (for the most part), UV rays that re-centres your Qi, this is just distracting rubbish. Sorry, that was a bit of a rant, but I am easily annoyed by the bullshit that consumers in HK get fed to sell electronics.

If you really need to reduce weird gasses, get an IQ Air Multigas.
    Last edited by jgl; 30-03-2017 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis
    Yesterday's disgusting smog has prompted us to buy an air purifier. Does anyone have any recommendations please?
    I've recommended one several times, simply because it's one that I am familiar with. Lots of others are probably similar in effectiveness. Sharp, A80 or something like that. Run it on at least Medium, don't use the auto or low speeds. Useful for a medium sized room.

But again, lots of other ones work fine too. Get something big. Run it fast.
    misshappy26 likes this.

Plasma-ionising-whatever, air sensors (for the most part), UV rays that re-centres your Qi
    Fuck no wonder my Qi was still off balance, time to burn the Daikin air purifier in the garden tonight FFS lol

I was very close to buying an IQ Air and then someone suggested I get an air quality monitor first. Realized my mid-range Philips was actually pretty effective. So I bought a top-end Philips which was half the price of the IQ Air and that room always has fantastic air quality (e.g. less than 40 AQI US scale) even on very hazy days.

A lot of the very expensive ones claim to clean out viruses etc. but as I don't live in a hospital don't think that's necessary.

Mrs. Jones and misshappy26 like this.

oh i saw the IQ Air thingy in Toys R Us and nearly spat my chewing gum out at the price listed, I think it was 15K. HOLY CRAP.
    I'll stick to my Plasma-ionising, death rays shooting Daikin LOL

shri likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast