Like Tree3Likes

Where not to buy Camera's

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

You can't sue a shop for your stupidity I'm afraid. If you ever find papa then take him with you next time.

He can sue surely for fraud (if the camera was actually on sale for 240 in the shop but he was charged 700); for misrepresentation ("this camera is the same as the other one" when it's not; for lying etc etc etc .... I'd give it a go if it was me. Need to do some homework though, write down the whole conversation or as much as you can remember etc etc. Find witnesses if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    He can sue surely for fraud (if the camera was actually on sale for 240 in the shop but he was charged 700)
    That's not fraud - a business is allowed to charge whatever the customer is prepared to pay. Different customers pay different prices for all sorts of things - my wife gets cheaper prices in the markets and some stores than I do - that isn't fraud it's because: a) she's a better negotiator than me, and b) I'm white and pay the gweilo premium.

I don't buy whereispapa's story, who in their right mind wants to buy a DSLR and allow himself to be talked into buying an inferior product at a higher price!? People that want a Nikon D90 are usually those that know their stuff.

Besides, anyone ever heard of "New Rich Audio"?

Happy Rich Audio & Video Ltd

Tel:2366 8791

Burlington Hse, Tsim Sha Tsui

Seems like one of the dodgy places on nathan road with no price tags etc. Cant really sue these kinds of places but only report them to the Consumer Council.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia
    Happy Rich Audio & Video Ltd

Tel:2366 8791

Burlington Hse, Tsim Sha Tsui

Seems like one of the dodgy places on nathan road with no price tags etc. Cant really sue these kinds of places but only report them to the Consumer Council.
    ...who will most likely do jack.

It's surprising how few tourists have heard of this scheme:

Also, beware shops with suspiciously cheap products - they'll give you a refurbished model, grey import or hang the old bait 'n' switch on you. The bastards!
    Last edited by Sigga; 13-01-2009 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Sudden rush of indignation

I am really tempted to go there and ask for a Nikon D90. Got already one, so let's see if they are really good and can talk me into a Coolpix P80.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon
    I am really tempted to go there and ask for a Nikon D90. Got already one, so let's see if they are really good and can talk me into a Coolpix P80.
    Leave your cards and cash at home first though as a backup! hehe

Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    Sells cameras, lenses and related accessories[/url] and there are also some good second-hand camera shops in TST if you want film gear.
    Really?! Where are these second hand camera shops? Will I get a good DSLR with live view?

I am looking for the Canon 1000D. For a new one, I got a price of $3250 in one shop (only in store warranty). If I add the 50mm F1.8 lens, its $620. Is that a good price for an item with "in store warranty"?

Some have questioned my story as beinig true or not, and I assure you it is true. The D90 I was looking for was a gift for my Aunt. She sent me with the imformation. The store clerk obviously knew I had no idea about cameras, hence why he was able to rip me off. In reality the picture he took in the store with the D90 compared to the P80 was horrible, but then again the clerk I am sure knew how to take pics in cetain light to make one look better then the other. So after seeing the pics on the P80 I believed it was a better camera. Again my mistake.

As for suing it seems I can, the reason; deceptive business practices. I understand there is not a set price for any given item in HK, but charging $700 USD for a product that sells on the high side for about $275 USD surely cannot be justified under price negotiating. I admit I am an idiot, but being an idiot does not mean legally a merchant can engage in deceptive business practices. I am sure I am fighting a losing battle but I will not give up until I know I have no other options. Maybe if I harrass and fight back, the guy at happy rich video will think twice before he rips off another person. So maybe I might be saving the next idiot from the grip of the evil man in the rich but far from happy video store.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast