Like Tree3Likes

Where not to buy Camera's

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

I believe it comes down to greed. No matter what business your in. In my case I wonder why the guy at Happy Rich Video could not just have ripped me off for say 100 USD why did he have to go for 400 usd? Why is it exxon mobil reported over 1 billion US Dollars in profit? Would say 500 million USD not be enough for Exxon? All across the world people have been raped with high gas prices, why? Is it justifiable? OPEC negotiates the price of a barrel of oil by the amount off oil they produce. Is it ok for them to cut production to turn a huge profit even though their still making a decent profit? What about Bernard Madoff, is it ok he stole all that money from those investors? Why did he not just steal 1 million USD why keep going? The victims of his greed are they all stupid for failing for his scam? Maybe they are jsut as greedy as Madoff is. He promised a higher return then any other firm, which people did not question how he can do this, they all just saw dollar signs and turned there money over. It is all about greed, and greed is killing this world. Ghandi said "Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed" he was so right. I understand business is about making a profit, but where is the line between making a profit and greed drawn? How much of a profit is exceptible? To me my understanding of business is yes to make money, but doing it honestly. Well all know every action has a reaction, and today greed has caused people to forget this. The mortgage brookers, investment firms, and large corperatioins have all forgot about this. They did not think about the people who lost there homes, jobs, familys, and life savings just beacuse their greedy ways. Now the little guys like the cameras shops, and small retail stores are doing the same, becasue they too want to be like the big guys, all at the expense of the consumer. Its all just not right!

How wonderfully idealistic. Do let us know when you return to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    How wonderfully idealistic. Do let us know when you return to the real world.
    Agreed

People will do their utmost to get away with as much as they can, Why go for $100 when you can get away with $500?

If you don't research into RRP etc then you only have yourself to blame. You wouldn't go and buy a property without doing any proper research would you? Same goes for a camera etc which is a few $$$.

If you don't do your research and you get conned then you only have yourself to blame.

Unfortunately I'm with PDLM on this round. There is a huge difference between ligitimate business practise and profit maximisation - within the law (and more relevantly for many of your examples, within the law of countries that actually have some sensible consumer protection laws!) compared to somebody who lies and cheats. Happy to support you trying to stamp out the lying and cheating, but profit maximisation within the law is just business. I know PDLM and I disagree on where the line is drawn, but I don't think we disagree that in general profit maximisation is the right approach.

Quote Originally Posted by whereispapa:
    Some have questioned my story as beinig true or not, and I assure you it is true. The D90 I was looking for was a gift for my Aunt. She sent me with the imformation. The store clerk obviously knew I had no idea about cameras, hence why he was able to rip me off. In reality the picture he took in the store with the D90 compared to the P80 was horrible, but then again the clerk I am sure knew how to take pics in cetain light to make one look better then the other. So after seeing the pics on the P80 I believed it was a better camera. Again my mistake.
    If your aunt requested the D90 specifically (and sent you information about that), then why did you choose a different camera? Shouldn't you have been buying what she wanted, especially since you, by your own admission, don't have the knowledge to make an informed decision?

I remain unconvinced.

Mr. Raccon I can assure I do not post in forums just to make myself look like an idiot. So rest assure my story is true. I did make a bad choice, why? Well you can read back to my reasons why I choose the P80 over the D90. It came down to the picture quality displayed on the on camera's lcd to me looked to be better on the P80 then it did on the D90, along with the skills of a shaddy sales associate.

Ok now to explain about my Aunt. She did request the D90, but she also mentioned she was on a budget of $600 USD. She also mentioned she would trust me on another model if I believed it was a good deal. But she also told me to research it before I bought, which I did not and where I made a huge mess. She is not a professional photographer either. She was impressed with my Fathers D60 (I think that is the correct model) and thought it would be great to have the same model but was not happy about the D60 not having video. So during her research she found the D90 and loved it. The shaddy guy, was going to sell me the D90 for $640 US. The sale was agreed upon and I actully Signed and Completed the transaction. Ok my buddy Raccon this is where the slide of the hand took place so pay attenion.

So as the transaction was being discussed and I was in the process of signing the deal for the D90, which I did sign, another sales associate was sitting on the sidelines watching the deal go down. He approached me and started to ask we why I choose to buy the D90, so I replied with the reasons my Aunt gave me. "It has great reviews, and now has video" He replied "you only want it for video?" I replied "Well yes that along with the great picture quality and excellent reviews". He then brought over the P80. He asked me a few more questions and started to see I did not know much about Cameras. He then proceded to sell me the P80. He snapped a few pictures in the store. The pics where of the same thing, the back of the store and me. And like I mentioned before the pics taken with the P80 look so much better. Again looked better to me, the none trained non thinking customer. Anyway at this is when I choose to take the P80 over the D90. So he canceled the sale of the D90. He then charged me $740 USD for the P80 which is $100 USD more then the D90.

Wow thats a big post, but let me just say, I uderstand it is my fault, I understand there is not much I can do, and I do feel like an idiot. With all this in mind I still feel I was ripped off, regardless of price negotiating ect. The clerk knowingly took advantage of me, for no other reason then greed. He had a sale made already for the D90 but the profit he was making on the D90 was not enough to satisfy his greed. Some may call it price negotiating in reality its just greed.

Hope this is clear, I know it might be kinda wordy but my mind is going faster then I I can type, I am still fighting with Happy Rich Video, I will not back down. Yes I am dumb for the choice I made, but he still is a rip off.

whereispapa, if the thing went down as you say then I agree that you were ripped off and I wish you good luck with your fight.

Next time just inform yourself in advance (the forum here is a good place to start ), and perhaps your aunt should, too, as the D90 sells for double in most places, so it's not realistic to request this particular camera with a budget of USD600 only.

I don't know if the people on this board is just very gullible or just stupid. All sales people will try scam you and try sell you what they WANT you to buy and not neccessarily what you want. Just go in get what you want and do not listent o the crap they throw at you. Saying NO is just as easy as saying YES.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiew888:
    I don't know if the people on this board is just very gullible or just stupid. All sales people will try scam you and try sell you what they WANT you to buy and not neccessarily what you want. Just go in get what you want and do not listent o the crap they throw at you. Saying NO is just as easy as saying YES.
    So true, Trust your instincts and the magazine reviews as opposed to a sales person.

You want to buy product A, You have researched about product A, Why let some sales person persuade you to buy product B which may or may not be better but the sales person is going to get say 10% more comission off you if he sells it.

Go in and ask what you came in for, Buy it and walk out and job done!
    If they mention other products say you only want the one you want and if the persist be firm and say ' I want product A and nothing else, If you want the sale then do me a deal otherwise I'll walk and take my business elsewhere'

See its not that hard is it?

Quote Originally Posted by eddiew888:
    I think you should preface your comment by saying "all salesmen in Hong Kong" and even then it would not necessarily be true. The scams described by others on this forum are extremely rare in places like the UK and Australia that have strong consumer protection laws; and even in HK they are not that common outside of Nathan road! I don't think a buyer should expect to be scammed - I think it's something we should help the OP to stamp out so that we can buy in confidence and that sales assistants become a source of knowledge (which is what they SHOULD be) rather than a source of fraud.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast