Like Tree22Likes

Will low cost automation make a big impact?

Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18,629
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    It took a pause for 20 years while it went to China and other low labour cost countries. Talking to a Taiwanese factory owner last week he plans to spend US$500m on automation in the next 5 years moving production units nearer consumers.
    It really didn't take a pause. Not in the slightest. Look at the revenue growth of Fanuc, Keyence, Siemens THK, Delta, Kuka, ABB, Yaskawa, Omron etc. Industrial automation has accelerated over the past two decades, not taken a pause.

    As for your Taiwanese friend, well, Terry Gou was there a few years before him

    Foxconn to rely more on robots; could use 1 million in 3 years | Reuters

    Foxconn replaces '60,000 factory workers with robots' - BBC News

    Of cause, Trump is going to bring manufacturing jobs back to the US..... FFS.... nobody is going to replace their robots with expensive unionised American workers. Even the Chinese (five years ago) and Vietnamese workers (now) are being displaced by robots.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    16,335
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    It really didn't take a pause. Not in the slightest. Look at the revenue growth of Fanuc, Keyence, Siemens THK, Delta, Kuka, ABB, Yaskawa, Omron etc. Industrial automation has accelerated over the past two decades, not taken a pause.
    Pause maybe a strong word but it didn't advance as fast as it could of when cheap labour offered better returns than automation.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Of cause, Trump is going to bring manufacturing jobs back to the US..... FFS.... nobody is going to replace their robots with expensive unionised American workers. Even the Chinese (five years ago) and Vietnamese workers (now) are being displaced by robots.
    People in the West who suggest poor people should get factory jobs to make thing great again are usually a little delusional

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18,629
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Pause maybe a strong word but it didn't advance as fast as it could of when cheap labour offered better returns than automation.
    Still plenty of cheap labour in the world.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    16,335
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Still plenty of cheap labour in the world.
    but is it cheap compared to low cost automation?

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18,629
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    but is it cheap compared to low cost automation?
    Ask the guys paying women and children half a dollar a day to stich together clothes in Bangladesh.
    shri and Mrs. Jones like this.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,649
    East_coast likes this.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    27,366

    I'm with TheBrit on this one - the biggest threat automation holds is for professionals who are analysing, managing, structuring, reviewing/checking. The threat is from advances in AI - Image / Pattern recognition, Natural Language understanding and all that...

    Might be a worthwhile project for a journo / researcher to take every job description out there in industries like Banking, Law, Accounting and then review that with existing technology and ponder what the technology could do to replace people doing what they're doing now.


  8. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18,629
    Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Might be a worthwhile project for a journo / researcher to take every job description out there in industries like Banking, Law, Accounting and then review that with existing technology and ponder what the technology could do to replace people doing what they're doing now.
    It's being done extensively, both within the industries you mention as well as plenty of academic and analysts researching this to identify the trends early. Journalism itself is an industry well suited for automation to at least assist if not outright replace journalists for some key tasks - sports reports, financial results commentary - the more formulaic stuff.

    You can tell the auto-written copy in the SCMP, it has better English spelling & grammar then the stuff their paid staff churn out.....

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    27,366

    Your post reminded me of a project I started a few months ago and never finished...

    Based on:

    https://yseop.com/

    There is another one driven by IBM, cannot find it.

    Forum moderation is also going to be automated, thanks to basic sentiment and image analysis.

    East_coast likes this.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    16,335
    Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Forum moderation is also going to be automated, thanks to basic sentiment and image analysis.
    Let's hope so

Reply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast