Like Tree22Likes

Will low cost automation make a big impact?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    I think the autonomous part of flying has to be done on the plane. Communication links just are not reliable enough to guarantee real time signaling and control in severely adverse weather. Planes will have to be able to fly themselves, not relying on a pilot sat on the ground to fly the trickier bits.
    I agree that it should all be done within the plane but I just can't see it happening without some sort of manual over-ride just in case. Maths must be better at landing a plane than a pilot who can't take in all the data a computer could.

Only need a 4G link for the last few Km's. Can't be that much data to transmit!

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    And the latency to Bangalore.
    It is an interesting question what level of automated flying the public will accept. Self-driving cars are facing a similar challenge. Automation can get to a level better than humans, some would argue it already is. However, automation will never be infallible, just as humans are not. Accidents and fatalities will occur in self-driving cars and self-flying planes.

Can we, the public accept that? Even though we should - rationally - I think it is a huge psychological barrier to cross. We can accept one plane in a million crashing and the pilots perishing too. Will we get on a plane flown by a computer the day after one has crashed and killed a few hundred people?

In IT we've been automating for decades now. Deployment, testing, installing, etc. There's no avenue of IT that hasn't been touched by automation. Yet there's no impact on jobs. IT people are still in high demand.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Only need a 4G link for the last few Km's. Can't be that much data to transmit!
    In normal operations, sure - no problem. When there is a thunderstorm or a cell sites are down, how much do you want to rely on getting real time high quality video to the ground at zero latency?
    Last edited by TheBrit; 29-05-2017 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Can we, the public accept that? Even though we should - rationally - I think it is a huge psychological barrier to cross. We can accept one plane in a million crashing and the pilots perishing too. Will we get on a plane flown by a computer the day after one has crashed and killed a few hundred people?
    Many questions - Accidents will happen.
    - Does a hipster programmer in where-ever have skin in the game when they write the code on who lives or dies?
    - Will the 70 year olds car be programmed to sacrifice itself to save a young family in another car?

Anyway need to try to use the business hub (photocopier) that has far too much intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    In IT we've been automating for decades now. Deployment, testing, installing, etc. There's no avenue of IT that hasn't been touched by automation. Yet there's no impact on jobs. IT people are still in high demand.
    @civil_servant - This tweet made my day. May be I'll be in high demand in a few years with my own GaaS.

https://twitter.com/timbray/status/867254017356955648
    civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant
    I guess it is not the case of it happening as we all know it does. It is whether a giant leap will happen. In the last 20 years it has been globalisation and e-tailing that have changed the way of the world.

Much like the great depression happened after traditional 'local' jobs were replaced by it being done more efficiently elsewhere and cheaply transported to you. A radical shift not a continuous progression.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Many questions - Accidents will happen.
    - Does a hipster programmer in where-ever have skin in the game when they write the code on who lives or dies?
    - Will the 70 year olds car be programmed to sacrifice itself to save a young family in another car?

Anyway need to try to use the business hub (photocopier) that has far too much intelligence.
    Or will it only consider life based on the wealth of a person, a very rich 70 year old might actually physically look like a very fit 40 year old in the future. Advancements in HGH therapy and DNA modification will make that so. What will serve as the priority basis to who lives and dies, then?

Me thinks that the rich will incorporate custom systems to determine they live at whatever cost.

Fuck you, if you happen to be middle class or poor....

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    Me thinks that the rich will incorporate custom systems to determine they live at whatever cost.

As it has always been and will always be. That is human nature, like it or lump it. We all take care of ourselves and our own first - then worry about everyone else.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    Or will it only consider life based on the wealth of a person, a very rich 70 year old might actually physically look like a very fit 40 year old in the future. Advancements in HGH therapy and DNA modification will make that so. What will serve as the priority basis to who lives and dies, then?

I suspect it will be linked to your insurance premium. Pay an extra annual fee

US1K - Super protection - Give you priority in most accidents
    US10K - Ultra protection - Advanced algorithms to keep your family as the top priority

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast