Like Tree22Likes

Will low cost automation make a big impact?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    There's so much work in the world that can be performed if robots take over mundane tasks. Like I said, we'll just be more productive. With the help of robots, we can focus on restoring the environment, be more productive on a communal level, spend more time on research and development, revive artisanship, invest more time in the arts and sports, and be overall happier people. It's these social tasks that will be harder for robots to perform.
    This is all very well, but who is going to pay for these jobs? The savings made by RA will go into shareholder pockets, unfortunately.

I happen to work in this industry ;-)
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by methosb:
    The someone needs to create maintain the robots argument doesn't work out. 1000 people replaced by 100 robots maintained by 1 person. 2 people monitoring an automated production line building those 1000s of those robots per day.

Self driving cars/trucks, 3d printing and automated farming are going to decimate the worlds work forces. With a rapidly increasing world population. Let alone all of the white collar automation that is going to occur.

To save all those human-performed jobs there would need to be a completely new industry pop up like IT did at the end of the industrial revolution that for some reason could not be automated. That is an enormous, unlikely ask.
    There was 150 years between the end of the iIndustrial Revolution and IT cropping up. Hope we don't have to wait that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Seagulls!:
    This is all very well, but who is going to pay for these jobs? The savings made by RA will go into shareholder pockets, unfortunately.

I happen to work in this industry ;-)
    That's for society to decide. Some will end up with increased inequality, while others will choose to have some redistribution mechanism. No different than what we have before. Some will gain from automation, others will lose.
    shri likes this.

In the mean time - Watson is learning how to read x-rays, MRIs, CT scans and more.

https://news.fastcompany.com/ibm-say...cancer-4039394

Although I'm part of the class that is supposed to be replaced by automation, I welcome my AI overlords - when they arrive. I'm a mix of Peter Thiel and Thomas Piketty on this.

Certain tasks that I previously needed to do that sucked, ie: aggregating data, setting up excel to perform basic calcs, comparisons, pulling similar data, etc. I won't need to do. That will let me spend time focusing on the profitable side of my business - designing my tests, identifying markets, etc. The fun, engaging, and profitable side of my business won't be replaced any time soon. Automation helps people in these roles - and these roles exist in banking, accounting, etc. that are predicted to die a horrible death via the introduction of automation. Only certain aspects of jobs will be replaced - but in my field it is more common that 1 person has to do many things than many people doing 1 thing. I would agree that in a field where a worker does 1 job, their job is in jeopardy.

I'm more interested in AI than automation. AI will be automation x100 because we won't need people. Unfortunately, What passes as AI currently isn't true AI yet. Real unshackled AI will produce things beyond our comprehension - I believe Musk is trying to do that with his future gig-whatever factories; as he says, after they're designed by a true AI they'll look nothing like we could imagine - encountering them will be as if we encountered an alien dreadnought. And when we get true AI, whoever owns and controls the AI will live a life of leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    There's so much work in the world that can be performed if robots take over mundane tasks. Like I said, we'll just be more productive. With the help of robots, we can focus on restoring the environment, be more productive on a communal level, spend more time on research and development, revive artisanship, invest more time in the arts and sports, and be overall happier people. It's these social tasks that will be harder for robots to perform.
    Do you really think that is what's going to happen in this part of Asia ? Unless heavily regulated, Utopia isnt part of the Feudalistic cultural make up of the special ones.

Lets look at Foxconn of where the Sino manual workforce is going to end up. They replaced most of their fine motor function assembly line workers with the latest robots.

Nobody is singing kumbaya about big business, industries who compete based on the lowest moral/human cost denominator.

Until one day... Those thown on that human scrap heap become the biggest terrorists that wealthy special ones will ever know.

That is where the world is headed in the very near future

One thing is for certain, and not such a bad thing, the office ass kissers wont exist, the moment the HR department flicks the AI switch. You literally becoming just an employee number of ' The Machine."
    Last edited by Skyhook; 05-06-2017 at 07:26 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5