Like Tree22Likes

Home monitor - IP camera

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    If Foscam is out - whats a good alternative for outdoor camera? Something that will withstand high winds, a ton of rain (no snow, no ice) and be located on the other side of the world.
    I haven't looked into them in depth (I have several, but the indoor/budget models not the outdoor/tamperproof stuff) but Hikvision seems like a good option. High image quality, way better dynamic range than what I've experienced with other brands (cheapie Panasonic and D-links). They come with different lens options for the non-PTZ versions (2.4mm, 4mm, 8mm?)

They seem a little more 'serious' than generic consumer items- their products are capable of Power over Ethernet, and if you need to reset the device because of a lost password, you have to contact a Hikvision support address to get a reset code (after pulling info from the device remotely). I guess this is because companies really don't want random strangers being able to hit a reset button on a camera and taking it over.

I have no idea if they do the Foscam "report back to mysterious Chinese servers" deal, because mine are blocked off from contacting the Internet anyway. The company does release occasional firmware updates, I've not tracked how often as I don't need updates.

You need the International versions with English firmware, unless you can read Chinese.
    HowardCoombs and misshappy26 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    I have a few Xiaomi IP cams set up, work great and cheap
    Yep using these as well. Only issue is you need to select Mainland China as the setting on the APP, otherwise the cameras wont connect.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    If Foscam is out - whats a good alternative for outdoor camera? Something that will withstand high winds, a ton of rain (no snow, no ice) and be located on the other side of the world.
    Blink - as posted above

HowardCoombs likes this.

Cocoon:

https://cocoon.life

159 Quid, available at Amazon.

I first read that as "coconut" and thought it was the perfect name.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    How do these things stream? i.e. to servers in China or elsewhere?
    Depends on the version, they have mainland and international versions.

For me, it doesn't make much difference as I have mind connected to Telegram via HomeAssistant, so I can get snapshots just by chatting to my Home Assistant chatbot

They are great little cameras, they just released an outdoors version too.

Out of curiosity, what do people, especially those who live in an apartment, need a home IP cam for?

Nanny (FDH) cam? Baby monitor? Dog monitor? If it's for security, then I guess there's got to be some sort of storage option as well.

I looked into them when I lived in a village house but along other reasons I decided to just move out. Back to living in civilization with some security other than the locks on my door.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    Out of curiosity, what do people, especially those who live in an apartment, need a home IP cam for?

Nanny (FDH) cam? Baby monitor? Dog monitor? If it's for security, then I guess there's got to be some sort of storage option as well.

I looked into them when I lived in a village house but along other reasons I decided to just move out. Back to living in civilization with some security other than the locks on my door.
    the xiaomi one has recording option.
    Last edited by Grumbler; 05-11-2017 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    Theft still occurs in tower blocks of apartments.

CCTV is probably the best deterrent after a good door lock