Like Tree3Likes

Anyone using Octopus O!ePay ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone using Octopus O!ePay ?

I'm looking for a way to top up my Octopus card without having to go to the counters in the stations.
    Unfortunately none of my credit cards can have the Octopus function and I don't want to apply for another one.
    There is the AAVS function, but I'd like to retain better control of what's coming out of my bank account.

So there is this O!ePay thing.
    The way I understand it, it's a free service offered by Octopus and works kind of like a virtual wallet. I transfer money from my bank account to this wallet, the transfer can be "pulled" from the Octopus app via the signing of an Autopay with my bank, and then I can transfer money from my this wallet to my Octopus card. Not the simplest but... once setup it looks easy enough. I realize that it takes 2 business days for the transfer from my bank to O!ePay to be effective, probably because they use eTransfers, which is also okay with me, it's not like I use my Octopus card like crazy in the first place.

Anyone here having bad experience with this O!ePay or does it work in practice as advertised ?

About Octopus O! ePay - Octopus Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    There is the AAVS function, but I'd like to retain better control of what's coming out of my bank account.
    AAVS is quite convenient, and you can preset the daily limit to $250 or $500, and you get the points/miles from the credit card it is linked to for each auto recharge.

I set up an account with them and have transferred money from Octopus to O! epay and O! epay to my bank account. Quite hassle-free, everything is done within the app, I didn't fill any form or go to a branch/station.

Never topped up with it though, I use AAVS.

bdw

I use O!epay every day for 2 things.

1) Lunch with my team every day. One of us pays with credit card and then the rest of us pay that person back with o!epay. Extra credit card reward points for all!!

2) To top up my kids octopus (AAVS is not supported for kids). So first I top up my o!epay account from my own octopus, if there is not enough balance it will trigger AAVS from my octopus. Then transfer from o!epay to kids octopus.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    I'm looking for a way to top up my Octopus card without having to go to the counters in the stations.
    Any store like 7/11 can do that too.

It's a great app. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    2) To top up my kids octopus (AAVS is not supported for kids). So first I top up my o!epay account from my own octopus, if there is not enough balance it will trigger AAVS from my octopus. Then transfer from o!epay to kids octopus.
    Ok this is a major advantage for O!ePay then as I am in the process of switching my daughter to cash from Octopus (she can pay her school lunches with Octopus). Perfect will set this up.

Agree their app is pretty cool.

Thanks all.

@bdw

2) To top up my kids octopus (AAVS is not supported for kids).
    Am I missing something here? The son's Octopus (something you get with the form that the school fills in for student fares) has been linked for a while to my HSBC Advance cc.

I use the O!ePay from time to time. Two main benefits:
    1. There is no minimum top up amount when using the app. So I can top up, says $20 at a time for my kids' cards. (At places like 7-11, I think there is a minimum of $50.)

2. Very convenient especially when there isn't a place to top-up near where you are. E.g., as the whole family is dashing out to catch a minibus to go to the MTR station, you kid informs you that there is "no money" in his octopus card. There is no shops between here and the minibus stop, and the 7-11 is at the MTR station. Well, at least you have the app in your pocket.

Ok, there's a third benefit:
    3. You can top up your O!ePay account using credit card (via the online banking website), which could allow you to earn some points. Top up at counters is by cash only (if I'm not mistaken).

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by penguins
    Ok, there's a third benefit:
    3. You can top up your O!ePay account using credit card (via the online banking website), which could allow you to earn some points. Top up at counters is by cash only (if I'm not mistaken).
    Ha ! This means a 2% discount circa. But in fact I saw on their website that they don't accept credit card payments (see below from their website).
    Can you elaborate on how you do that exactly ?

Please note that joint name accounts and credit card accounts are not supported.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast