Like Tree4Likes

UPS for a fridge?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Yes, but more suitable for handling surge requirements of fridges etc? Most UPS that I've seen, actually all are for IT equipment.
    Probably. Lithiums have really good max discharge rates compared to older chemistries.

For something like a UPS though, which only kicks in during a rare power loss, lithium is not ideal. Unless there's some kind of magic industrial chemistry that I am unaware of, lithiums degrade really fast when kept fully charged (the figure I've seen is 20% total capacity loss when stored at 100% charge for a year). I think that a company like Tesla simply deals with this by providing initial overcapacity.

We have a battery system which keeps our fridge/freezer going - nothing fancy, just lead-acid marine batteries and an inverter. We put it in for exactly this reason, and later upgraded with solar panels. But it's not cheap. Not worth it unless you have frequent outages (as we did).

shri and jgl like this.

Propane or gasoline generators are popular for this. UPS are generally designed to last long enough to shutdown computers safely, not for long operation. Fridges however can last 12 hours as long as you keep the door shut.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo
    Propane or gasoline generators are popular for this. UPS are generally designed to last long enough to shutdown computers safely, not for long operation. Fridges however can last 12 hours as long as you keep the door shut.
    Did you read any of the previous posts that pretty much covered all this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2